My favorite teacher | Teen Ink

My favorite teacher

As I wandered the halls aimlessly looking for room #176 on my second day at Arrowhead High School, at the new campus I would finish high school in (north campus). Two minutes after the bell rings I finally found the classroom. As I go to open the door, I notice a big hand written note saying “Meet in Lab B.” 

I thought, Great now I'm gonna be even more late, this teacher isn’t gonna be happy with me. I finally found the room, as I walked in I was expecting so sort of “Where were you” or “Why are you so late.” But as I walked into the class, I was met by a taller man with a beard (he hasn’t seen his chin since he was 18, as he tells his students) wearing a flannel shirt, jeans, and boots. “Welcome to metals one. I'm Mr. Christian, what’s your name?”

I told him my name and we began class. The metals shop was being re-done (meaning we couldn’t do much of anything we were supposed to in our metals class). You could tell as the weeks went by, Mr. Christian grew frustrated; we wanted to get into the shop and so did he. But that didn’t stop him from making class fun and enjoyable. Everyday we would learn and laugh.

As the semester went on, we finally got into the shop. That is when I really started to appreciate Mr. Christian. He cared about how we did in the class and the quality of our work. Some teachers seem to just want you to finish and they don’t worry about how you did, but not Mr. Christian. I had him both semesters and grew a good bond with him. I could come and talk about anything with him.

As the end of the year approached, he would ask about my future plans, trying to keep tabs on what I was doing over the summer. I’ve never had a teacher ask or even seem that interested in what my plans were or how they could help. 

He said, “̈If you need anything over the summer email me, and email me pictures so I can see what your up to.”

This really meant a lot to me, because Mr. Christian doesn't have to care about what I do or where I go. But he does anyway. 

The summer went by and the new school year started. Once again I had Mr. Christian for a new type of class that allows students to mimic a real world job structure. To this day, Mr. Christian asks me about what my future plans and offers guidance on how to get there. I haven’t met another teacher who can sit around a classroom and make jokes, laugh, and teach us life lessons all in an 80 minute class period. Mr. Christian is an educator in every way and I couldn't think of someone I’d rather see get this award.