Educator nomination | Teen Ink

Educator nomination

June 3, 2019
By Anonymous

When I started at Skyline Middle School, I was excited because my brothers and sister went there and loved it. On the first day of school, everyone said how there was a new PE teacher. Everyone had different opinions on her. I was scared to go into the gym not knowing if this lady was going to be meanest teacher or the nicest teacher.

 

Finally, I got to PE class, and I had to listen to Ms. Ahrens talk about these papers we had to get signed and returned, and then fill out a paper about our self. I wasn't very happy about that, because all I wanted to do was run around. Ms.Ahrens told us about herself, and it really caught my attention that she and I had so much in common; from there on our bond became stronger and stronger over my 3 years at Skyline.

 

Ms. Ahrens wasn't any teacher you would have; she was like a friend that had a different view on everything that she had already experienced. She was my go to person when I had a rough day; she always knew how to make me feel better and how to make me laugh. Not only did Ms. Ahrens know me well but I knew her even better. She is probably the nicest teacher you'll ever get to meet; she was always 100% honest with me. If I ever had a issue with another teacher; I would go to her to relax and cool down. Before I went back, she would give me advice if I was in the wrong and did something, but would also help me realize what the teacher was trying to say.


I went to Ms. Ahrens for just about everything. She helped me with school problems and stuff at home. She always had the most encouraging advice to make me feel better. One day in school I came in really upset not knowing if I wanted to overwhelm her with my home stuff. She knew I wasn't ok because every morning I came into her room happy to see her. That day I came in upset; she knew it and she asked if I was ok, and I was kinda just like it’s nothing and started my day. I then had health with her and just was not in the best mood. She kept me after class, and I told her what had happen and just like she made me realize that everything was ok, and it would work out. I am so grateful for her and everything she has done for me.

 

Ms. Ahrens was a field hockey coach and softball coach at Skyline. The whole time I was at Skyline she would always try to make me play field hockey for her even though it wasn't my sport. She also coached softball which I was happy about knowing that I would get to know her even better. So, when softball season came around, we came in second place when I was in 6th grade. After that our softball team got worse and Ms. Ahrens always made sure we were at least having a good time if we weren’t winning, and most of the time we weren’t.

 

When it became time for me to graduate and leave Skyline,  it was difficult for me because I wouldn’t have the one person there that I would see everyday which was heartbreaking. Ms. Ahrens and I were very close at the end of the year. Knowing that I wouldn’t have her with me in high school made me a stronger person because I had to figure out how to do it all by myself. Ms. Ahrens deserves this award a lot because she’s not like any of these other teachers. She puts others before herself and makes sure everyone in school is ok even if she didn't know you. She always works as hard as she can to put a smile on everyone’s face.