Master Sergeant Howie | Teen Ink

Master Sergeant Howie

By SamPaoli16 BRONZE, Hockessin, Delaware
SamPaoli16 BRONZE, Hockessin, Delaware

For Educator of the Year I am nominating Master Sergeant Howie from the Delaware Military Academy. I have chosen Master Sergeant for multiple reasons. We do many fun and exciting activities in Master Sergeant’s class like martial arts and self- defense skills and life saving skills such as CPR. We even learned how to take care of specific injuries on yourself or others. Master Sergeant has very informational and interesting topics for his lessons, and he makes them even better by making them hands on, not just paper and pen.     

Master Sergeant’s class is very fun because we do a lot of physical things. On Friday, my class and I have PT where we have done things for self-defense fighting skills. We learned how to block ourselves from punches and kicks and also how to properly throw punches and kicks. We have learned many things for self-defense that sometimes weren’t always fighting, but related to how to find pressure points and triggers to hold someone off. We do other things like running and playing different sports when we go outside for PT which I enjoy immensely. Master Sergeant taught us how to carry injured victims, and we have practiced these carries by carrying our classmates over the shoulder or on our back.

In Master Sergeant’s class we learned how to do life saving procedures like CPR and the Heimlich maneuver. We practiced these actions so we would know how to do them in case of emergency. Master Sergeant taught us how to take care of different injuries such as cuts, breaks, burns, cold related injuries and a few more. We learned how to stabilize a break or fracture, how to  clean a cut and properly bandage it, also how to clean a burn and properly cool and treat it. We have done many things such as using different resources in the room to replicate wrapping a cut or securing a break to practice in case of real life scenario.

Another reason Master Sergeant’s class is interesting is because some of the students have jobs for our class platoon, and he leaves some things up to us to organize or settle. We make groups for specific things that our class will have to do and pick the best people for those things. Our class had multiple things coming up, and we put together the people who would be best for each position. In Master Sergeant’s class we have learned a lot of leadership skills and other very essential life skills. Master Sergeant tells us lots of very captivating stories about his life experiences that usually relate to the topic of that day's lesson. The stories that Master Sergeant tells are very attention grabbing and I always enjoy listening to them a lot.

I enjoy Master Sergeant’s class for all of these reasons and more. Master Sergeant makes all of our lessons fun no matter what we are doing, and he always tries to get us up and moving as much as possible. I have learned many things in Master Sergeant’s class this year that will greatly benefit me in the future, and I have had a lot of fun at the same time. All of the things I talked about are reasons why I believe Master Sergeant deserves a spot as Educator of the Year.