My Favorite Teacher | Teen Ink

My Favorite Teacher

By Vanwed1994 GOLD, Sussex, Wisconsin
Vanwed1994 GOLD, Sussex, Wisconsin

“Wow, You really made that?!”  My relatives stood in awe as I revealed my newest creation.

“Yes, yes I really did make…” that dress or those pajama pants or that quilted pillow.

Many people stand with their jaw on the floor when they see a seventeen-year-old sews better than they can.

“How did you learn how to sew?” they ask. “You learned from your mother, right?”

But they are wrong. I not only learned how to sew, but how to make the best out of what you have from Mrs. Barbee.

On the first day of Design and Clothing, during my sophomore year at Arrowhead High School, I sat waiting for the class to startㅡI was eager to start sewing, but I had no idea there was so much to learn. I learned the basics about sewing from my mom and auntsㅡI thought I knew everything. I couldn't have been more wrong.

By the end of the first week, Mrs. Barbee cracked open my brain and packed it with knowledge about basting stitches, running stitches, backstitching, top stitch, blind stitches, and so much more. I could not believe there was so much to learn about sewing.

One class began with learning how to thread a sewing machine. Within ten minutes of class starting, I heard the sound of Mrs. Barbee’s thundering voice echoing. “Go!” The sound of clattering machines rumbled through the classroom

“Done!” exclaimed one student.

How could she be faster than me? She’s never even threaded a machine before.

The frustration boiled inside me until I started gaining speed and learning about my machine.

“Nice! Only twelve seconds,” she said as we continued knocking the average time down to ten seconds.

This simple activity gave students a thrill about the most boring and tedious task. Because of Mrs. Barbee, I can now thread my sewing machine without thinking.

One of my biggest projects during the semester was making a pair of pajama pants with pockets (needless to say, I was petrified). There was so much resting on this project: my grade, the outcome of these pants, and three yards of flannel fabric (material is not inexpensive).

I continuously asked Mrs. Barbee questions. But she assured me I was on the right path and told me if I made a mistake, I would be able to fix it. Mrs. Barbee taught me it's okay to make mistakes. She reminds me that as long as I am trying my best, it will work out.

Not only did Mrs. Barbee teach me how to thread a machine like a pro, but she also gave me confidence I didn't know I hadㅡhow a little bit of effort can change my outlook on everyday tasks.

Not only did Mrs. Barbee teach me how to sew, but she also taught me to have confidence in what I'm doing, and what I'm choosing to do is rightーeven if it isn’t correct, it will work out as long as I give it my best. Thank you, Mrs. Barbee.