Educators of the Year | Teen Ink

Educators of the Year

When I first met Mrs. Muller three years ago, I was a shy, timid student with big dreams and no idea on how to chase them. As the eldest child of three and an immigrant from Taiwan, I was excited, yet nervous, to integrate into life at a comprehensive high school of more than 2,000 students. At Union High School, we have more than 30 clubs — each with their own goals, adviser, and student membership. I wanted to join every one, yet at some of those club meetings, I would feel so left out. Stepping into that first meeting for Future Business Leaders of America (FBLA) was different. Mrs. Muller was the first adult I connected with on a personal level at Union. Out of all of the 30+ clubs/organizations at Union, she was the first adviser to make me feel at home. To this day, Mrs. Muller continues to be a beacon of light throughout my journey at Union. Whether it’s a goal on my personal leadership plan, a new idea for chapter leadership, or even a problem at home, I know I can count on Mrs. Muller to provide her full support. At her core, she is intelligent, compassionate, and most importantly, kind.

In my time as a three-year Union FBLA local chapter officer, two-year state officer, and two-year national council member, there is no doubt in my mind that Mrs. Muller is the best candidate for the WA FBLA Adviser of the Year Award. She has a deep commitment to Washington FBLA and our members, taking her role as an adviser above and beyond to become a mentor, role model, and friend. Not only is she there to help facilitate officer discussions and provide advice, she is the type of adviser who sits with her students well into the evening to perfect resumes, who engages in real-world conversations about connecting FBLA education to real-world industry opportunities, who reminds students to take time for personal & mental health, and who is there to inspire FBLA members to create, lead, and inspire. With Mrs. Muller as my chapter adviser, she has supported me every step of my FBLA journey. When I approached Mrs. Muller in the eighth grade intending to run for state office, she saw my potential. She believed in me. That year, I spoked, campaigned, caucused, and was voted by FBLA peers across the Southwest Region to serve as the 2017-2018 Southwest Region VP. Mrs. Muller stands out because of her commitment to find leadership in expected places, to help student leaders broaden their view and take advantage of opportunities. She is radically inclusive and seeks to include students from all backgrounds, all walks of life within our chapter.

Beyond her constant positive energy and ability to see the best in every student & situation, Mrs. Muller is one of the most capable teachers I have encountered. She uses the most effective business etiquette and communication skills to conduct the work of FBLA, and in turn, holds our chapter leadership to the same professional standards. She is a bold thinker and hard worker who analyzes situations and solve problems in a proactive, self-sufficient manner. Mrs. Muller is critical to the success of our FBLA chapter in an AP dominated school, and helps students of all backgrounds realize the value in CTE and CTSOs. From membership drives to fundraising initiatives to competition preparation, she does not hesitate to get elbows up in whatever needs to get done. Her can-do attitude is refreshing, because Mrs. Muller finds creative ways to rally resources within our school and community to better our FBLA chapter. Whether it be building personal connections with the local Wendy’s manager for fundraising, to recruiting her work-based learning employers to become FBLA judges, to relentlessly encouraging students in all of her classes to take advantage of the opportunities in FBLA, she fully believes in FBLA and how this organization changes lives.

In the years I have known Mrs. Muller, I am ever more in awe by her ability to get things done in her sphere of life, and her commitment to our FBLA chapter. From students in the hall, to business leaders in the community, to her colleagues & school administration, Mrs. Muller constantly represents FBLA and our mission to develop students into service-minded business leaders. Furthermore, Mrs. Muller seeks to provide opportunities for members to participate in FBLA beyond a local level, and even take their leadership through FBLA into the community. Beyond serving on the local, state, and national levels for FBLA, Mrs. Muller has helped me develop clear occupational goals and formulate a plan for reaching those goals. I dream of becoming an edtech social entrepreneur, and currently run a youth-led nonprofit organization called Project Exchange, which democratizes access to cross-cultural educational opportunities for high school & college students through a Digital Exchange Program. With the support of amazing advisers like Mrs. Muller, I’ve been inspired me to take these big steps to connect the future of learning to the future of work.

Ultimately, Holly Muller is an absolute champion for FBLA. She is my personal champion and a champion for countless members within our chapter. Mrs. Muller has helped me become the person I am today, and has been there every step of the way. I will forever be grateful to Mrs. Muller for her leadership, mentorship, and friendship. The types of bonds she creates with FBLA members, including myself, last well beyond the classroom or chapter. She is the type of adviser I wish every FBLA member could have, because Mrs. Muller has helped me nurture a spark in myself to not only create, lead, and inspire, but to help others do so as well.

Author: Ashley Lin, student

Nominated Teacher: Holly Muller, Business teacher at Union High School, FBLA & DECA Adviser

Intent: for 2019 Educator of the Year Award