Actor - Kristen Stewart This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine.

At 16, Kristen Stewart is not afraid of intense roles, including Jodie Foster's daughter in “Panic Room,” the protagonist in “Speak,” and a troubled teen in “The Messengers.” This month, “In the Land of Women” opens with Kristen playing a teen dealing with high school, peer pressure, and a difficult relationship with her mother. The film also stars Meg Ryan and Adam Brody.

In “In the Land of Women,” you are a painter, but what are your real-life hobbies?

I read a lot of books, and I'm a writer. That's what I'm mainly into. I just love putting the words together. I'm really in love with words. I play guitar; I love going to shows. I'm kind of a homebody.

What is your favorite book?

I actually have two. I just finished Cannery Row by John Steinbeck, which was really intense. The other is The Stranger by Albert Camus, that was heavy.

You've worked with Jodie Foster and now Meg Ryan. How were those experiences?

So different. I was little when I worked with Jodie, so I wasn't taking notes. Just being around someone like that for months when you're so young and such a sponge ... she probably affected the way I work.

Jodie doesn't take things too seriously, she just acts. I mean, of course, she thinks about it, but Meg takes things very seriously - in the best way. You can tell she really cares about her work a lot, and that's really important.

In terms of acting styles, was it very different working with Meg, Adam and Makenzie Vega?

They were all so different. Working with Adam and Makenzie was a lot of fun, but my scenes with Meg were intense. There was a lot of tension between us, a lot of distance. I liked working with her; I felt we were both very satisfied with what came out. After a scene with Meg it was like, “Oh, we nailed it.”

What is your relationship with your mother like? Will your new movie help mothers and daughters better understand each other?

I'm really lucky, because I have a picture-perfect relationship with my parents. But I definitely see my friends in Lucy and her mom's relationship, I feel like that dynamic is very typical. This movie will open people's eyes.

How do you choose roles?

It's always different. The movies I've been interested in have been because of the prospect of working with the filmmaker and a certain director. Sometimes I'll do a movie because there are one or two scenes I really want to do, something that's different. I think it's important to do movies that are worth watching, something that makes you think.

If you weren't acting, what would you do?

I would want to write screenplays. But, if I had to have a practical job, if acting fell through, I couldn't imagine working anywhere but on a movie set. I would want to work in props or the art department.

What advice would you give others interested in acting?

If there is anything you really want to do, you have to give it a shot. Otherwise you're going to hold onto it forever and just regret it. You should have no regret.

People always ask actors for advice and it's like wow, you're asking us? I don't know how enlightening we can be. We're just people.

lexi<3 said...
she is an amazing actress. =)

emmatheballerina said...
I like her last statement that she said. Other than that, I am not impressed with her acting, though the movie with Jodie Foster wasn't too bad. But Twilght could have been better

SilverAngel replied...
Oct. 9, 2009 at 5:43 pm :
I love Kristen! She's pretty and an amazing actress!

emmatheballerina replied...
Oct. 9, 2009 at 5:46 pm :
She is pretty and can be a good actress, but I am just not impressed with her. At least in her last movie. The Messangers i thought was good

Elle R. said...
I thought it was great when she said "If there's anything U really want 2 do give it a shot. Otherwise u'r going 2 hold on2 it 4-ever and just regret it. u should have no regret. Ithought that was very helpful and very good advice.

Catherine.L said...
I think this article was written before the movie Twilight. Mainly, because it says she is 16, but when she played Bella she was older wasn't she? And also Land of the Women opened a few years ago so not this month.

writer24/7/365 said...
i agree with almost all of the comments!!!!!!!!!!!!! go kristen stewart!

pinksage33 said...
I think Kristen Stewart is awsome!!!

Angel*music*lover This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. said...
Jul. 21, 2009 at 4:57 pm:
I think she could've done better in twilight if she'd have read the book...

1Ashapea1 said...
Jul. 21, 2009 at 4:25 am:
Kristen didnt read the twilight books at all she didnt even watch the final product! Robert Pattinson read the books to make up a plan on how to play his charactor, Edward, but Rob didnt watch the final product either- he aint ashamed of it! But if you think about it watching a movie where your body is in jeopardy, would you wanna watch it!?

marissa said...
Jul. 20, 2009 at 11:43 pm:
aww how come you didnt mention twilight geez that would be my first question!! and i cant wait for the next movie to come out because i read the books a couple of times already...

TheUnknownGuest said...
Aug. 15, 2009 at 5:06 am:
I loved tho movie speak!! Great job!! You can really act different! You're a great actor:) Also thanks Margo for interveiwing her :)That makes you awesome too!

sallyloco said...
Jun. 25, 2009 at 3:56 pm:
Why didn't you ask anything about twilight? Anywho the rest is super amazing! Loved the interview!

KassieK123 said...
Jun. 1, 2009 at 12:20 am:
You know what I don't understand, Well she probably should have said one of her favorite books was twilight. Geez

EdytD said...
May 31, 2009 at 10:25 pm:
Personally, I don't particularly like twilight. However, you asked good questions, and I was impressed that they did not revolve around Stewart's role in Twilight.

BreeLynne27 This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. said...
May 31, 2009 at 4:57 pm:
It says, "This month, in The Land of Women." This movie came out a while ago, so Twilight obviously wasn't out yet. That's why there are no questions regarding Twilight!!

SilverAngel replied...
Oct. 9, 2009 at 5:46 pm :
This is BEFORE Twilight! Two or three years ago!

thedaydreamer13 said...
May 6, 2009 at 11:00 pm:
oh my goodness... BIG fan of... drum roll... TWILGHT!!
sCrEaM!! and the crowd goes wild for the books

eva_princess_of_the_darkness said...
May 6, 2009 at 8:06 pm:
i'v seen that movie it was good i loved it

diva1 said...
May 6, 2009 at 2:20 pm:
Good job. Wow, your lucky only because you got to meet the star of TWILIGHT! I'm surprised she didn't put TWILIGHT as one of her favorite books...lol! Oh, and thanks for the advice with acting! :-0