Gerard Way from My Chemical Romance | Teen Ink

Gerard Way from My Chemical Romance

July 15, 2012
By JinxxyWinxxy BRONZE, Hull, Other
JinxxyWinxxy BRONZE, Hull, Other
4 articles 0 photos 0 comments

Favorite Quote:
Easy peasy, pumpkin peasy.


What gave you the idea of starting a band and quiting art?

I just thought I’ve gotta get out of the basement. I’ve gotta see the world. I’ve gotta make a difference.

What thought came in your head that made you want to quit alcohol and drugs?

One day your life will flash before your eyes. Make sure it's worth watching. Sometimes you have to kind of die inside in order to rise from your own ashes and believe in yourself and love yourself to become a new person.

How does it feel to play in front of millions of people?

It erases everything I hate about myself. Nothing can hurt me. I feel completely invincible. I feel like everyone else on that stage is invincible and we're capable of anything. There's no stopping us.

How do you feel for all those who are bullied for being 'emo'?

Just be yourself, don't take anything from anyone, and never let them take you alive.All your quirks and all your problems - even your depressions and your failures - that’s what makes you you.

Whats the craziest thing that as ever happened to you?

Craziest thing that ever happened to me was being attacked by a black bird. It pecked the shit out of my head. We were at this hotel called The Phoenix in San Francisco. We were leaving to go to a show the next morning and the bird just fuckin' attacked my head. And the next day Slipknot were there, they were coming in as we were leaving, and they got attacked by birds too

You've got a lot of people supporting your band but whats your favourite band?

My favorite band at the moment is the Dresden Dolls, they're from Boston. It's a guy and a girl. She plays piano and he plays the drums and she also sings. You can find them on the web they're incredible.

What are your hobbies?

Drawing and Drinking Coffee

Was you surprised about the reaction of the black parade?

I thought if we made an album that tried to change the world, or give it hope, it would really happen. But all people found was death and destruction and misery and self-hate. I learned that the world doesn't want to be saved, and it will f**king punch you in the face if you try.

What do you want to say to the girls who are trying to make themselves thinner?

Hey, girls, you're beautiful. Don't look at those stupid magazines with sticklike models. Eat healthy and exercise. That's all. Don't let anyone tell you you're not good enough. You're good enough, you are too good. Love your family with all your heart and listen to it. You are gorgeous, whether you're a size 4 or 14. It doesn't matter what you look like on the outside, as long as you're a good person, as long as you respect others. I know it's been told hundreds of times before, but it's true. Hey, girls, you are beautiful.No matter what anyone says, dont take their F**king Bulls**t. Coz you're better then them, faster than them and god damn it, YOU'RE MUCH BETTER LOOKING!!

There is a bit of conflict with MCR fans and Green day fans. What should be said to solve this?

If for one minute you think you're better than a sixteen year old girl in a Green Day t-shirt, you are sorely mistaken. Remember the first time you went to a show and saw your favorite band. You wore their shirt, and sang every word. You didn't know anything about scene politics, haircuts, or what was cool. All you knew was that this music made you feel different from anyone you shared a locker with. Someone finally understood you. This is what music is about.

Fans say that your their hero. What do you think a true hero is?

Heroes are ordinary people who make themselves extraordinary.

What do you like or dislike about Sims 2?

What I like about The Sims is that I don't have a normal life at all, so I play this game where these people have these really boring, mundane lives. It's fun. My Sims family is called the Cholly family. I don't know why I picked that name; it's kind of random. The teenage daughter is my favourite, because I just had her go through this Goth phase. She's really kind of nerdy and she just became a concert violinist, which is pretty huge for the family. And she got into private school. But she started wearing black lipstick and she dyed her hair purple. It's pretty huge.

What is it like making your own records?

Making a record is a lot like surgery without an anesthetic. You first have to cut yourself up the middle. Then you have to rip out every single organ, every single part and lay them on a table. You then need to examine the parts, and the reality of the situation hits you. You find yourself saying things like "I didn't know that part was so ugly." Or "I better get a professional opinion about that." You go to bed hollow and then back into the operating room the next day. . .facing every fear, every disgusting thing you hate about yourself. Then you pop it all back in, sew yourself shut and perform. . . you perform like your life depended on it----and in those perfect moments you find beauty you never knew existed. You find yourself and you friends all over again, you find something to fight for, something to love. Something to show the world.

Whats the funniest thing you have ever done in your life?

I went to school in drag, in art school and my day was completely different because everybody thought I was a chick. You should see me as a chick. So I went as a girl, as like an experiment and it worked really well and everyone was really nice to me but I couldn't talk obviously...you know train conductors were really cool to me on my commute...HA! I looked hot as a chick!

The band wasn't very rich at first. What hints did you give to say you needed more clothing?

So how was Christmas for you guys? Did you all get lots of nice black t-shirts?

Lastly what is your motto?

Stay beautiful, keep it ugly