Neil Gaiman This work is considered exceptional by our editorial staff.

Bestselling author Neil Gaiman has long been one of the top writers in modern comics, as well as writing books for readers of all ages. He has won many awards- Newberry, Hugo, Nebula, Bram Stoker, SFX, and Locus awards, was nominated for many other awards, including the World Fantasy Award and the Minnesota Book Award, and appeared on many best-of-year lists. His top books include The Graveyard Book, Coraline, Good Omens, American Gods, Neverwhere, Stardust, Odd and the Frost Giants, The Absolute Sandman, and Anansi Boys. Many of them, such as Stardust and Coraline, and have been made into successful movies. He's also written numerous collections of short stories and picture books. Now in his late forties, Neil Gaiman obliged us with an interview from his home in Minneapolis, Minnesota.

Christine: What do you currently see as your most notable accomplishment?

Neil Gaiman: My kids!

C: Did you ever imagine the huge success of your book, Coraline?

N.G.: No, definitely not.

C: When you were a child, did you want to become a writer?

NG: Yes.

C: What advice would you give young people hoping to be writers?

NG: Write and finish things.

C: What are some of your hobbies?

NG: I enjoy beekeeping, humming, and reading.

C: What are four words you would use to describe yourself?

NG: Amiable. Vague. Puzzled. Messy-haired.

C: What is your favorite book or genre to read?

NG: I'll read anything!

C: If you weren't a writer, what would you be?

NG: A freelance religion designer.

C: Is it a hard job being a writer?

NG: Yes, but I like it.

C: Do you prefer to plan your books out ahead of time, or figure them out as you go?

NG: A bit of both.

C: What do you enjoy most about your home in Minnesota?

NG: I love the Fall. I also have a big, old Addams Family house with a vegetable garden where I love growing exotic pumpkins.

C: Do you still feel connected to your birthplace in England?

NG: Yes. According to my daughters, my most irritating habit is asking for cups of tea.

C: What do you feel about the sudden jolt of publicity since the Coraline movie?

NG: Not much, really.

C: What do you do when you need to get some inspiration or ideas for a novel?

NG: I go for a walk.

Neil Gaiman's novel Odd and the Frost Giants, is his latest creation for young readers. This truly unique and creative author says he loves thunderstorms, old houses, and dreams. He also seems to have a never-ending stream of creativity, as he continues to create graphic novels and stories for all ages.

Robert Jolly said...
Love his work! Although I only read The Graveyard Book, it was fantastic, by the way, Neil Gaiman's work is GRAT!

RiverSong said...
Jun. 22, 2011 at 11:22 am
Nice job with the interview; I am really jealous of you!!! Neil Gaiman is my absolute favorite author and I would LOVE a chance to do what you did.  How did you get to talk to him?

Christy This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. said...
Thanks for all of your comments, it's very encouraging.

Mark said...
This is a very good, short, informative interview. The writer did a good job.

KNIGHTS111 said...
haven't read any of his books yet- but sounds good

Rosie said...
Go Neil Gaiman! I didn't like the book Coraline, but I liked the graveyard book.

Coco said...
Neil Gaiman is truly a gifted author. He sounds like such an interesting person.

Alicia said...
I love his books!

horsegirl said...
Thanks for the interview- very interesting.

BaiLiHua This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. said...
Mar. 1, 2010 at 7:08 am
He's way cool. Thanks for this interview. It's great.

Kat1391 said...
Oh, and he's from Minnesota too! So am I!

Kat1391 said...
Cool, he's from England. I hear he's a great author (I haven't read any of his work yet).

J.C. said...
I never was a major fan of his book, Coraline, because it was rather creepy. However, he does sound like an interesting person. I liked the part about his "annoying habit of asking for tea."

Colin449 said...
Yes, He Keeps Bees!!!!!

Yah he's one of my favorite authors too. He's got a very unique, creative, wacky way of writing that I love.

Caitlin said...
As soon as I saw Neil Gaiman's name I had to click on this interview. I adore his work, especially The Last Temptation and The Sand Man. I'm glad you go to talk to him! :)

Dec. 15, 2009 at 9:18 am
Great, I loved Neil Gaiman's novel, The Graveyard Book.