never give up | Teen Ink

never give up

By person988 BRONZE, Cannonfalls, Minnesota
person988 BRONZE, Cannonfalls, Minnesota

Stress comes over me the minute I start worrying. If I slice, if I hook. Walking off that bus I started to cower. They all were matching. Everything was matching. Their shirts, socks, pants and some even had matching bags. I was prepared I was ready. My team and I went into that round knowing, we were not coming out easy.

An hour before we left,  we started to practice at home, I started sweating. I could not hit anything. I either went left or right, never straight. We loaded up the bus for the thirty-minute drive to Redwing for our meet. While in that thirty I lose my mind, talking to friends and playing fun games. Talking to my coach and texting my parents my nerves start to calm but not enough.

When we arrived they were scary my nerves started to build back up again. Nothing else was in my mind. All I could think about was how I could mess this up. What could happen? As we started to practice at there course, I started to get myself together. I slowed down and thought about getting a medal or a trophy. My chipping came together and my putting shaped up. I got to the point where I studied their greens so much, I was criticized for hitting a really good put every time. I started to get compliments from people I did not know. But then my heart sank. We were called over to start the round. 

As we started to head to our starting holes, it hit me. I was playing with someone from cannon falls. We talked about how we would hit the ball. How it would work. Where it would go. First hole, it goes straight into the water. I don’t remember how I felt after that moment. I saw my entire round flash before my eyes. Many balls lost and misplaced. High scores were ahead for my game. First three holes was very rough. Literally, i was in the rough at least 10 times. But for my score, it was not good. I was at 28 after three holes. I thought to myself that my last round was going to suck. But as I started my next hole, it turned around. Everything my putting started up again. Even my drives which normally go stray and never how i want them to, but now it all changed. At the end of that round i ended up with a 42 for a score. The best i have ever gotten!! I was so excited. After turning my card in to my coach, we did scores. I ended up getting in the top 5, fourth to be exact.

So at the end of that meet, I didn't walk out with a medal or a trophy for that matter, but I walked out of that meet in the top five, and with my lowest score. I learned that as long as you don't give up, your luck and the way you play can completely change your round. Keep your head up. I and my team came in second, we all played great. That course and round changed my entire game. Thanks to that day, it has inspired for my golf year. So hopefully I can learn and keep going.