Depression | Teen Ink

Depression

May 20, 2018
By JasmeetKaur BRONZE, Leesburg , Virginia
JasmeetKaur BRONZE, Leesburg , Virginia
2 articles 0 photos 0 comments

Favorite Quote:
''You’ll never be brave if you don’t get hurt. You’ll never learn if you don’t make mistakes. You’ll never be successful if you don’t encounter failure.'' By: Anonymous


Depression is one paramount obstacle, that most teens and adults face in their lifetime. This mental disorder can be caused by genetics, death or a loss, bullying, medicines such as Interferon and many other issues. According to studies in 2014, 2.8 million teens and adults faced one major depression episode in their life. A depression episode is when something is concerning or bothering you for two weeks or more. If so many people are facing depression what can we do to help? And most importantly what can we do to help ourselves go against this disorder and live a happy life?

 

Teens who have depression are not likely to participate in what's happening around them. They may miss out on memorable opportunities. Studies have shown that teens who have depression may be violent and stubborn at times. But, this is not what teens want. Teens shouldn't rise in the morning having negative thoughts that might make a change in their emotions. Teens should wake up being in a happy, positive mood without any negative thoughts even near them. This will allow teens to be happy during their day and won’t make a bad decision that will impact them in their future life. 

 

Restlessness, tiredness, crying, changes in sleep, changes in appetite, alcohol or drug use, grades dropping, and self-harm may occur if someone is facing a depression episode. Statics prove that people who have depression get more sick than the people who don't have depression. Statics also prove that people who have depression have a greater chance of getting a heart attack or stroke, than a person who doesn't have this disorder. Depression can also lead the way to Substance Use Disorder (SUD), Post traumatic stress disorder (PTSD), Anxiety disorders, Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder (ADHD), and Oppositional defiant disorder (ODD).  

 

In our busy life of work, school, sports, studying and family we have a lot going on and we have tight schedules. There is so much that can happen in a second, an hour and a day without us even realizing. When the day starts we can be happy. Happy as someone could be. But, then something strikes. Something we weren't expecting, all our happiness drifts away from us. We are unable to think. All we want to do is to sit, cry, panic, feel unworthy and sometimes get thoughts to commit suicide. The hurtful part is that some teens keep things inside of them locked up not telling anyone where the key is to open our mind of thoughts. Only 33% of teens reach out for help. And the other remaining teens deal with this situation alone with no assistant.  According to a study done by the National Institute of Mental Health, 1 in 5 teens have decided to commit suicide and 1 in 12 have committed suicide. In 2014, 5.7% teenage boys committed suicide because of this disorder and 17.3% girls have also committed suicide. That’s 11.5% of the United States population! All these statics and reports prove that depression cannot be ignored.

 

If teens are facing multiple depression episodes, many doctors recommend sending teens to boot camps or emotional growth programs to help them. Most of these camps help teenagers avoid depression episodes. The FDA (The Food and Drug Administer) proves that Fluoxetine (Prozac) and Escitalopram (Lexapro) may help cure teen depression. Other solutions are getting Psychotherapy which helps improve mental health. One major treatment is you. You can make a difference. By doing the things you like and enjoy you can help cure your depression. For my case, if I'm ever down I like to write, read and hang out with my friends. Make a list of things you enjoy that way every time you are feeling down you have something to help you out. 

 

Many resources are available to fight against this disorder. Our job is to seek for help and guide others to seek medical attention as well. You aren't alone, your loved one isn't alone, your friend isn't alone, together we aren't alone! 


The author's comments:

You aren't alone, your loved one isn't alone, your friend isn't alone, together we can get through this!