Too Much Homework | Teen Ink

Too Much Homework

May 18, 2018
By camrynschroeder BRONZE, Cannon Falls, Minnesota
camrynschroeder BRONZE, Cannon Falls, Minnesota
4 articles 0 photos 0 comments

Today, kids are stressed. Homework gets more challenging over the years but the teachers keep piling it on. We worry about how much we have in such little time. Finding ourselves up till midnight crying our eyes out in bed because we still have more to do and because of that, we get no sleep and can’t barely keep our eyes open the next day. According to a Stanford survey led by Clifton B. Parker in March 10th, 2014 of 4,317 high school students 56% of those teens said homework was stressful and only less than 1% said it wasn’t stressful. All this work causes lack of sleep, headaches and weight loss. We forget to eat because of how busy we are. Out of the seven days of the week, five of them kids stress about. I will be talking about the negative parts in school, negative parts of too much homework, and how to should reduce to a reasonable amount.


We first start off with the teachers. Some of them don’t even help, we ask for help on what we don’t understand and they say “figure it out” but it’s obvious we have already tried figuring it out and that is why we are asking. Some of the others expect students to learn something completely new in five days and then take a test on it. Next is the physical education, is it necessary to have to run five laps every wednesday? The teachers of physical education grade students for if we can run a mile under a certain amount of minutes, that seems a little unreal. We all try to get the time we need but some of us can’t run in that time so the teacher gives a bad grade. Why is it that we have to take all these specific subjects if that’s not what we want to do for a job in the future. Is a chef going to need to learn anything about physical science? But then there is the other side, we don’t even have some of the classes that are needed for a future job.


Every students least favorite word, homework. It gets harder each year because as we get older, the people around us start to push us more and students understand that but when is enough, enough? Stanford researcher Clinton B. Parker from March 10th, 2014 says when things get too hard that’s when we start stressing. Whenever we get a lot of homework, we think we won’t ever get it done in time.  Mainly because there is so much or we think that we don’t have any of the answers right. Next thing we know, we get diagnosed with anxiety. Finding ourselves crying about it and having no idea how to cope with these things and thinking “If I just died I wouldn’t be so worried and stressed out about this anymore” then getting diagnosed with depression. When students get to the point of that, we would think the teachers would give us a little break and ease down on a little, but no. They keep piling it up.


When students ask for help, please actually help us instead of saying “figure it out.” If the teachers could reduce the amount so it doesn’t lead to anxiety and depression. Some are scared to go ask for help so maybe if the adults could come around asking if we need help because we don’t like to raise our hands in the middle of the whole class because it’s embarrassing. It’s sad to think that teachers sometimes won’t help if we don’t understand and that they don’t realize how much stress they put on us everyday.


Only less than 1% of students think homework isn’t stressful. The principle of the school needs to act on this and lower the amount the teachers give us. Kids stress about this five times a week and we can’t do anything about it except try and finish it, even if it isn’t our best. I feel all teachers should understand this because they were in high school at one point and experienced it. Some of us students have after school activities that we like to do, if we don’t have that then school isn’t very enjoyable. Coming and sitting in a desk for eight hours with only four minutes of passing time? We should get ten. Too much homework leads to really bad results, so let’s change something about it.