Fulfill Your Goals by Studying Abroad | Teen Ink

Fulfill Your Goals by Studying Abroad

By ChaeYeon BRONZE, Ho Chi Minh City, Other
ChaeYeon BRONZE, Ho Chi Minh City, Other

Do you want to have broader experiences envisioning the world and taste the bitterness and sweetness life has to offer? If you say “yes” without any hesitation, this should definitely inspire you. I must admit that oversea studying is becoming a hot potato in our globally-connected world, and I’m pretty sure that most parents are eager to send their children to study abroad.  Being parents, it’s natural to have interest in their child’s education and plan out their child’s future and pathways. To be honest with you, as one of the students who is studying in a foreign country, Vietnam, based on my four years international school experiences so far, I highly suggest oversea studying.

Believe it or not, the best decision that I have ever made so far in my life is studying abroad. When I first came to Vietnam, I literally begged my dad to go back to Korea because everything felt uncomfortable and I wasn’t used to the environment. I missed my friends and grandparents who supported me through thick and thin in Korea. When I had a hard time adapting to the new environment, I recalled all the precious moments that I had with them. Although I still miss them, as I reached the bloom of my youth and started to think more deeply about my future, I started to believe it from the bottom of my heart that oversea studying is worth it. 

I especially love the international school teaching style. In Korea, I basically just had to memorize the whole book to get a perfect score (cramming education), while in International School, I can think outside of the box and create infographics, posters or any visual components that demonstrate my learning.

In my previous school in Korea, I didn’t get chance to learn modern languages like Mandarin or Spanish as my second language.
With so many unique programs, it will be easy to find a good fit for your personality and goals.

Actually, studying abroad even comes with its challenges which directly relate to the benefits of studying abroad. “No matter where you end up, you will more than likely be out of your comfort zone as you face obstacles like homesickness, spending and budgeting foreign currency and simply living in a new, unfamiliar place” (Lee). This tells that by studying abroad, it will further assist you to overcome your weakness.

Experts even say that “‘Studying abroad can afford students valuable experiences and skills that can’t be taught in the classroom or even help secure a job in the future’” (Chan).
It also gives you a chance to have a multicultural background and develop different skills throughout your school life.

I almost forgot about it but Jennifer Grasz, vice president of corporate communications for CareerBuilder, says that it also shows “‘a sense of independence and initiative to a future employer’” (Stansbury).

Isn’t it amazing that tons of students desire to have a unique opportunity to expand their education and get along with different cultures and people? I think it’s a pretty big privilege, however; one of the major problems is that the experience comes over-priced (Stansbury).

By the way, It’s not the only cause of financial burden but also one’s fear of loneliness and cultural shock.

Yes, I admit that going to international school costs an arm and leg compared to local school and creates physical depression due to change of lifestyle, however; the experience that we earn is nothing more priceless than real gold.

Samantha Rios-Arizala, who is 18 years old and decided to study at Lakeland College Japan, had to struggle financially to afford the cost of studying in Tokyo, however; she believes that the experience will enrich her life enough to make the extra effort worthwhile (Carr).

To extend it further, the most intangible benefit of studying abroad is the personal responsibility that comes to adjusting and living in another culture.

People hold up a point that oversea studying will somewhat bring back their new insights to benefit their own communities.
I honestly believe that value of oversea studying experience can’t be compared to local experience. Think about it this way, do you really want to stay and study in your local school 24/7/365 and see the same culture for 18 years of your ENTIRE LIFE?? I guess nobody wants that. I understand that overseas studying is expensive, but if you can afford it, please go for it. The price is WORTH IT.

Works Cited

Agnes Chan. “Students abroad manage financial challenges while paying home tuition.” The Brown Daily Herald, 2 Dec. 2015.  Accessed 7 Mar. 2018.

Megan Lee. “7 Pro Tips to Affordable Study Abroad.” GO.Abroad.com, 1 Mar. 2018. Accessed 7 Mar. 2018.

Sarah Carr “As a study abroad becomes more crucial, few low-income students go.” THE HECHINGER REPORT, 8 May 2014. Accessed 7 Mar. 2018.

Taryn Stansbury. “Thinking of Studying Abroad? It’s Not All About Cost.” Foxbusiness, 4 Mar. 2016. Accessed 8 Mar. 2018.