Holocaust Monologue | Teen Ink

Holocaust Monologue

April 13, 2009
By RachelS BRONZE, Tiptree Essex, Other
RachelS BRONZE, Tiptree Essex, Other
2 articles 0 photos 0 comments

That which does not kill me only makes me stronger... That which does not kill me only makes me stronger...
There is no falling out of friendships because of how someone’s hair looks here. Many of us have no hair left or barely any to hide the humiliation we face. They say it’s for the greater good as all prisoners who enter the camps are told their heads are to be shaved to prevent lice and disease. Mother and I are two of many women made to collect human hair to stuff the pillows with. I even have to shave the corpses so their hair can be used for our purposes. It’s inhumane…THE MONSTERS THEY HAVE REDUCED US TO!
We did have hope... Hope for our saviour from the west... In some dreams I see them, knights in shining armour, rescuing us on their noble steeds, destroying the Nazis...
I face reality now. Only children are stupid enough to believe this.
Who am I fooling to think that this is just some nightmare...? Oh how I long to awake with Susanna tugging at my hair or Victoria yelling my name as if I’ve done something wrong.
No... Not here.... All I ever feel is the cold shredding my numbed limbs or the screaming of the frightened and dying... The endless screaming... WHEN WILL IT ALL STOP! Why can’t they put us out of our misery now and destroy the remains of our bodies. Haven’t they stripped us of everything? That’s what both parties want... the ending of our lives.
The sick and twisted game we are only pawns in; the worthless pieces that get in the way of the important components, taking a single step on the same path to destruction. No turning back.....
Where do we go from here?
That which does not kill me only makes me stronger... That which does not kill me only makes me stronger...


The author's comments:
This monologue is about a girl who is stuck in auchwitz and her views on what is around her and her work (shaving corpses for hair).