Kostka | Teen Ink

Kostka

By Christopher Horwatich BRONZE, Oconomowoc, Wisconsin
Christopher Horwatich BRONZE, Oconomowoc, Wisconsin

It was the first day of school and I was on my way to a new class. I was reading my schedule. I had, Mr. Kostka, Woods next. I didn’t recognize the teacher’s name, so I wasn’t too excited about the class. When I first walked in, he was standing in the doorway with a cheerful smile on his face greeting the students as we walked in. From that point on, I new he was going to be a nice teacher.

At first I didn’t know what I was doing and I felt that I was asking too many questions, but the more I asked, the more comfortable I felt in his class. I wasn’t just me, though. He doesn’t have a favorite student; he helps everyone. He looks at each student equally, answering questions and having conversations.
I enjoy his classes, not because it’s homework free, but because of his funny sense of humor. I feel so comfortable in his class, that I spend as many study halls in his room that I can. There are times when I think to myself, I wish I had this class for the whole day. He makes everyone in his class feel like family. When I see some one who needs a hand I think, what would Mr. Kostka do?

Not only did I learn about building wood furnisher, but I also learned how to build friendships with others. Mr. Kostka deserves this award because he has the skill and the heart to be a good teacher and a friend.