My Lucky Shamrock | Teen Ink

My Lucky Shamrock MAG

The sun was just coming up when our gray car pulled into the grassy showgrounds in Farmington, Connecticut. I went to the stabling tents where the horse I would be riding was kept. My own horse was home in Massachusetts because he was lame. A friend had let me borrow her horse, Shamrock, so that I could be in the show. I brought the large bay mare out of her stall, groomed her, put on her saddle and bridle and then brought her to the indoor ring to practice before my class. I would be competing in Maiden Equitation (horsemanship) on the flat, a class for riders who have not yet won a blue ribbon.

At noon I dressed in my riding shirt, navy jacket, beige britches, black riding hat and boots even though my class would be later. At two I sat on the beautifully braided mare waiting to go into the ring while my trainer gave me last minute instructions and my groom fussed over my horse. My horse was immaculate and I was ready to ride. Since the ring had two inches of mud when the judge called for the canter, my horse tried to pick up the wrong lead, but I caught it before the judge noticed. When we lined up for the pinning of the class, my number was called third out of seventeen people! This delightful mare had helped me win third place at one of the most important shows of the season, and it was my second show ever! n