Social Media | Teen Ink

Social Media

February 23, 2018
By acrouchet BRONZE, Harahan, Louisiana
acrouchet BRONZE, Harahan, Louisiana
1 article 0 photos 0 comments

Social media is an extremely controversial topic. Many people believe that social media is a way to express their ideas and opinion, while others believe that it is an invasion of privacy and takes the humanity out of human interactions. I believe that social media can be a great way to express feelings, thoughts, and ideas as long as those expressions are not infringed upon and or negatively affect others. I believe that schools should have the ability to look at their students social media accounts if, and only if, there is valid reasoning. There should be strict guidelines in place so that schools can keep their students safe without infringing on their students’ first amendment rights. One way that schools can infringe on their students’ rights is by blocking websites on students computers. If the computers are the school’s property then they should be allowed to block any website they see fit. However, if the laptops belong to the students then the school should not have the right to block any websites. This is because it is a violation of the students property. The school should inform their students of proper website to use but should not violate their students by blocking websites. On a larger scale, the government should have similar regulations regarding citizens use of social media. If there is a valid threat, the government has a right to monitor a person’s social media in order to ensure their citizens’ safety. Safety should proceed over all other aspects in regards to this topic. It would be much better to infringe on one person’s privacy than for that one person to do something that could potentially negatively affect American citizens. Another major aspect of social media that needs to be regulated are the social media accounts of people holding major party offices. It is fantastic that citizens can be close to their representatives, senators, and president, but sometimes this quick connection can have catastrophic repercussions. For example, President Donald Trump’s twitter is extremely controversial to many people throughout the world. President Trump is extremely firm and his opinions and does not hold back when expressing those opinions on public platforms. He has expressed his opinions regarding immigration, terrorist attacks, and opposing politicians such as Hillary Clinton and Barack Obama. These topics are extremely sensitive and President Trump does not use the level of empathy or respect that he should when discussing them. For example, President Trump tweeted, “Why would Kim Jong-un insult me by calling me ‘old’ when I would NEVER call him ‘short and fat?’ Oh well, I try so hard to be his friend - and maybe someday that will happen.” This tweet was extremely immature and increased tension between the United States and North Korea. This tweet is a prime example of why politicians social media should be monitored. Allowing monitoring of these people’s social media’s is essential to ensuring that American citizens are receiving correct information and that politicians avoid turmoil throughout the world. Overall, social media is a sensitive topic that requires strict guidelines when deciding whether or not a person should be monitored or not.