All About The Weather: Want To Be An Amateur Junior Weather Observer? | Teen Ink

All About The Weather: Want To Be An Amateur Junior Weather Observer? MAG

I am looking for kids throughout this state (and neighboring states) who would like to be weather observers.

Here is what you'd do:

f Be a "Weather Watcher" for your town.

f Have a weather station of your own to determine temperature, wind direction, estimate wind speed, take rainfall amounts, snowfall amount, and state of the sky (how much is covered by clouds) and high and low temperatures.

f Call me regularly and report the conditions for your town.

f Call me especially before, during, and after major storms.

f You'll need to get:

a. A thermometer, mounted four feet off the ground, away from your house, and shaded at all times.

b. A compass to determine wind directions

c. A rain gauge to measure rainfall. I recommend the plastic wedge-shaped one which costs $7.00 and is made by Tru-Chek.

d. A ruler for snowfall.

e. A maximum/minimum thermometer, made by Taylor, $10.00. Mount it near the other thermometer.

f All instruments are readily available at most weather instrument stores or some hardware stores.

f If you can give me more information than I've requested, all the better..

f Your information will be usedby me in articles, possibly for The 21st Century.

f Age doesn't matter , I'm 14!

f You don't need to be a total "weather nut" to do this. Maybe a slight interest, hobby, desire to feel more important, whatever!

Observing and measuring the weather can be fun. Big scary storms like severe thunderstorms and hurricanes become times of great excitement. If you have wind measuring instruments, even better. I always watch my wind speed (digital) display on my wall during storms.

Instead of"Oh my gosh, it's bringing down trees in the yard!" with instruments to measure it this becomes"Holy cow, it's blowing west-northwest at fifty miles an hour!" The sudden flood becomes "The 5.21 inches of rain that fell in only two days."

See what I mean? If you want further information on this, and how to become one of my weather watchers, write: Mike Colclough, Weather Observer, 14 Hutchins Circle, Lynnfield, MA 01940.

Who knows ...if you do well enough with me after a while, I may tell you how to be a weather watcher for the 6 o'clock news! After all, I already am ...if you've ever heard of "Mike in Lynnfield" (Channels 4 and 7). n