An Unforgettable Car Ride | Teen Ink

An Unforgettable Car Ride MAG

By Anonymous

   Thud! Thud! Crash! Crash?!?! My sister Amy was leaving for college and she let one of her jet black garbage bags full of whatever go crash?! More noises came from the navy blue jeep and my younger brother's bedroom. As I slowly climbed out of bed I nearly died of shock! It must have been ten degrees below zero!

I crashed downstairs and made myself breakfast with my eyes half closed. Slam! My eyes opened wide. That was the car-top carrier being dropped on the jeep's roof.

"Hi," my father said, coming inside. I mumbled a greeting in reply. I consumed my breakfast and got dressed.

By eight o'clock we were ready to go. I soon realized leg cramps were inevitable during this one and a half hour car trip. It wasn't my thing to read at eight-thirty in the morning, so I dozed off. Dozed is not quite the proper term: getting knocked out is more like it.

"Wake up!" a voice blasted in my ear. It was an hour later and we were at Smith College. My brother Peter was giving me a headache.

"Be quiet!" I roared back. I decided to stay awake while we got lost a few times before finding my sister's dorm. I would soon regret my decision. Amy must have brought one ton of clothes, tapes, sheets, pens, pencils, notebooks, and a radio. Her room was on the fourth floor. I knew I was in for lugging her stuff up. As I stumbled up the endless flights of stairs I began to wonder if Amy slept on the roof.

"Here we are!" exclaimed Amy. I saw a sign written in a nearly perfect script saying, "The attic is messy!" What attic? There's a suite at the end of the hall! What attic? Hurry up, find your room.

"I think we go right," my mother said slowly.

"Not quite," my sister replied after an investigation.

"Are you looking for your room?" a confident voice asked us.

"Yes!" I yelled, beating Amy to the answer.

"What number?"

"464," said Amy. She was faster than me this time.

"Oh! You got the big room!" she exclaimed.

Good, just get me there, I thought. As we staggered into her room I dropped her clothes on her unmade bed. The room was huge!

The rest of unpacking was so horrible I won't terrify you with it. I looked forward to the lunch on the lawn. The food wasn't too bad, but the bees were. The drive home, however, was luxurious. As I contemplated the day's events I dozed off. Dozed IS the proper term! n