Are These Your Friends? | Teen Ink

Are These Your Friends? MAG

By Anonymous

   There is a group of five kids who always seem to be hanging around together. On the outside you would think that they were very happy together. They do things with each other after school and on the weekends. Everyone considers them best friends. If you asked them they'd probably agree, but are they?

In order to be real friends with somebody there are certain qualities you must have. First of all you should respect your friends and their opinions. If you respect each other then you can be your self and still feel accepted. Another important characteristic is loyalty. This means that you would be honest and let them know that you are there for them. You would never talk about them behind their backs, or tell their secrets to other people. If a group of kids had all these qualities, then they would probably make a group of real friends.

Now back to the five kids. If these kids really consider themselves best friends, they clearly do not understand the meaning of friendship at all. They put on acts to impress each other and to feel accepted, which shows their lack of respect for who they really are. Also as long as they're included they don't care who they leave out or hurt. Worst of all has to be the way they constantly stab each other in the back. They don't even think twice before whispering about each other and putting each other down.

Who knows why this happens? Maybe it's because of hatred, revenge, jealousy or insecurity. I'm telling you this as a warning. Don't let it happen to you. I know so much about the situation from experience. I was one of the five kids! Since then I have changed a lot and my friendships have improved because of it.

If only people could learn to love and accept each other for who they are, your friends would do the same back. The other alternative is to live your life trying to figure out what's being said about you behind your back. The decision is yours, so think about it.n