A Blue Christmas | Teen Ink

A Blue Christmas MAG

Although Christmas is a time for excitement and elated spirits for most, this year the ecstasy has turned into sadness for me. You see, this is the first holiday I spent without my grandfather. He died on December 16th at age 92.

In each of the past twelve Decembers, the highlight of the month has been gathering at my grandparents' house for an old-fashioned Christmas party. We'd take part in family traditions like finding ornaments on the tree filled with surprises or tasting Christmas cookies. But I would always especially enjoy looking up at the head of the table to see my grandfather's face, smiling down at me. Not only would I see his mustached lips curl up, but his eyes would give me a twinkle that could never be forgotten.

My grandfather was a very family-oriented person and the happiest moments in his life occurred with his relatives around him. This humble man gave short speeches reminding us how lucky we were to be successful. He was one of the few people who could really make me appreciate all the wonders of life that are usually taken for granted. Perhaps this is because he was born in a simpler time in another century.

Now that he has passed away, holidays will never be quite the same. We will always lack that lovable family leader whose gentlemanly manners could never be replaced. This season we did not celebrate with large groups; most of the socializing was carried out in our own family room. The walls of our house didn't display thousands of sparkling lights and stuffed Santa Clauses. All that could be found was a simple wreath in commemoration of past happiness.

Anyway, I'd like to ask everyone who is lucky enough to have grandparents living to please cherish them while they are still with you because they are the vintage members of your family. n