Weatherwatcher Report | Teen Ink

Weatherwatcher Report MAG

We have recruited a few (not too many, but good enough for now) weather watchers.

Each night Justin McCullen has called in from Chestnut Hill, (Newton) reporting the day's high and low temperatures as well as any rain or snow amounts his area has received. (He went out in his bare feet and pajamas to do it!) One of my favorite reports from Justin's station came in on the evening of Thursday, the 25th of January. The large snowbank was providing a temperature contrast with the warm air moving in then so that dense fog resulted. Justin had almost been in an accident with another car that "came out of the blue" (or was that, "white"?)

On the phone I told him briefly of a quick way to measure visibility with a tape measure. He called back later saying that you could see no further than 36 feet! The next day was humid and 50 degrees in Chestnut Hill.

Also calling in from Medford is David Grande. Dave has a unique technique (hey, I like that phrase) of calling in once or twice a week and reporting the highs and lows for a whole bunch of days. Dave had 60 degrees on the 18th of January, high for the month, but it plunged to 15 degrees and was snowing by the 21st! (Day o' the big storm). Overall at Medford temps averaged in the upper 30's to low 40's by day and in the 20's and 30's by night.

Also from Medford, Gary Porter has called in a couple of times, not really reporting daily but giving up-to-date information during the big snowstorm on January 21.

Gary has a neat rain gauge that somehow melts the snow into it. During the storm, almost 7 inches of snow fell at Gary's station, melting down to an unbelievable 4.5 inches of liquid. That's what you call WET snow!!! Since Gary has a crystal controlled public service band radio which, during the storm, Gary had tuned to a marine channel, he told me a few boats were calling "Maydays." Gary also called up several times on the 21st reporting lightning strikes and heavy snow at the same time.

If you want to join our team of storm-loving nuts (like me), just write for information, send your name, age, address, and phone number to:

Mike Colcough

14 Hutchins Circle

Lynnfield, MA 01940

I'm looking forward to hearing from you, and believe me, we'll have a good time. n