Dealing with Opioid Addiction | Teen Ink

Dealing with Opioid Addiction

January 5, 2018
By chelsea12345 BRONZE, Kansas City, Missouri
chelsea12345 BRONZE, Kansas City, Missouri
1 article 0 photos 0 comments

Dear Editors ,

Opioids are a class of drugs that include the illicit drug heroin as well as prescription pain relievers oxycodone, hydrocodone, codeine, morphine, fentanyl and others…


Opioid addiction is taking over thousands of people’s lives. Opioids are an escape that you can’t stop feeding. There are medications and counseling available to help specifically treat addictions. People should not sit around and let the addiction consume them;they should take action.

In 2016 an Ohio officer had pulled over a car speeding down the highway to find two unconscious adults that had a four year old boy in the back seat. The adults were high on heroin and had overdosed. The young boy whose identity was not told was completely emotionless, and seemed to have acted like this was a regular occurance. “We are well aware that some may be offended by these images and for that we are truly sorry, but it is time that the non-drug using public sees what we are now dealing with on a daily basis,” said the Ohio police department.

 

Even though it may not seem like it but that was only a lucky case of addiction. Recently, addiction death rate in 2016 have gone up to 20,000 overall deaths.

 

Although some people may not be able to afford a personal counselor or new detox drugs, this is an effective option. Here are some money statistics from the National Drug Institute on Drug Abuse.


·   methadone treatment, including medication, and integrated psychosocial and medical support services (assumes daily visits):  $126.00 per week or $6,552.00 per year
·   buprenorphine for a stable patient provided in a certified OTP including medication and twice-weekly visits: $115.00 per week or $5,980.00 per year

Yes, they are expensive but it’s worth it. Stop feeding your addiction and be able to go out with your family without wanting to get high and ruin the night. If you spend the extra money you will help your family. Not only that, but overall prison inmate numbers will decrease and babies born into a drug family will also go way down. Help yourself and your family, pay the extra money.


         Sincerely, Chelsea G.