Sat Receives An F | Teen Ink

Sat Receives An F MAG

The SATs should be abolished. SATs do not test one's scholastic aptitude, but instead test how good a test taker one is, how well school prepares one for this test and how much time and money is spent preparing for this inaccurate test. The SAT was created as a measure of comparison for students applying to colleges. Most colleges and universities still require the tests, although they may not weigh the scores as heavily as in the past. Why should students spend their time (three hours on a Saturday morning) and money on a non-essential test? The SAT costs $14.50, which includes four scores sent to colleges. For each additional college, the ETS charges $5.00. Of course, one has a "rush" option for another $20.00, plus many bonuses that have their own fee. Additionally it is expected that one will take the SAT twice. A student's main goal is to go to college, not support the employees of ETS in Princeton, New Jersey.

The SAT was meant to measure aptitude and how you analyze problems. However, it is now thought it tests how well the student takes a test. If a poor test taker, that student will probably do worse than a good tester. If a person is feeling sick on that one Saturday, then he will do worse. Some people get nervous, which has an adverse effect when taking the test. It all depends on what kind of day that student has. The English section of the SAT expects a high school student to know a wide variety of advanced English.

The SAT also measures how well a school prepares its students for this one test. Instead of teaching a general curriculum, sometimes schools cater to the SAT. A school's purpose is to educate its pupils, not to have them score well on the SAT. A student is supposed to learn about life and the world in school, not how to score a 1600 on the SAT.

If a student can afford to enroll in a $500 course designed to teach students how to outsmart the SATs, this course does not advance one's English or math skills, but instead gains a few points on an inaccurate test.

Why should a student study for a test that is not accurate? An accurate measure of the student's ability is his daily life. What do teachers think of that student? Has that student been active in the school and community? Has that student enrolled in college prep classes or fluff classes? Some students spend months and months preparing for this test that does not measure scholastic aptitude. If the SATs were eliminated, students could concentrate on their daily life, which is more important than one test. n