Untitled | Teen Ink

Untitled MAG

By Anonymous

   My best friend's mother is a lesbian. I have known it for quite a while, but unfortunately I am the only one that my friend can confide in and talk about it with. It is very hard for her, and there are so many extra worries in her life because of it. She is very concerned about herself, and if she too is a lesbian. She has been going through so much because of this, and is really confused. She has asked me, several times, if I was still going to be her friend. I say, "Of course, why wouldn't I?" and she tells me that I might be afraid that she too is a lesbian and that she would start liking me. I always assure her that I do not think that, and that her mother's sexual preference has nothing to do with hers, and that it is not going to affect our friendship at all.

Her mother got divorced from her father when she was three. She never sees her father, and does not know much about him. After her parent's divorce she and her mother moved in with a female friend of her mother's. They have lived there ever since. They share their income, and the responsibility of raising my friend. Sometimes when we are talking about it she refers to them as her two Moms. She has two very caring parents, just as I do, but because of our society and how they think of people's relationships, my friend cannot be totally happy with her parents.

I think it is good that her mother and her mother's friend do not let what other people think change what they want, but it is a horrible strain on my friend, the child involved. She loves her parents, but at the same time she is ashamed of them because of how other kids make fun of gays and lesbians.

If only people were educated about the different kinds of people, they would accept people for who they are, and not have awful prejudices against many groups of people. Tthey might realize how these prejudices are hurting people like my best friend.