Embarassing Moments This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine.

Okay, so your boyfriend asks to hold hands. Of course you agree, he's your boyfriend! But wait...no, it's too late! He's already reached over for your hand. Don't panic now; it's nothing too terrible, but you still feel like an idiot anyway.

What happens is that you suddenly get this feeling inside you. It's like when your language teacher calls on you to read and you pronounce the words wrong. Your cheeks feel hot and you feel like the world's smallest parasite. I guess being a parasite wouldn't be such a bad idea considering that you'd be so small no one could see you. But anyway, the weird feeling reaches your hands and all this moisture starts to collect on your palms. Oh no, not that! Sweaty hands!

So what causes these horrendous sweaty hands. You've heard about hormones right? (They're those boring things you learned about in health class.) What happens is that when you get excited, scared, or experience other sensations, the hormones start to act up. Not everyone will receive sweaty hands, but don't worry, I'm sure hormones think up something just as bad.

We won't get into the specifics here about these horrid hormones that try to torment your life, but maybe I can give you advice on how to prevent embarrassing moments. When your boyfriend tries to take your hand and you know they're wet and moist, just stuff them in your pockets. If he gets offended, just move closer to him and he might feel better.

Hey, but what if your hands are fine and his aren't. Yuck! ! One thing you could try is pretending that you have to sneeze and quickly let go of his hand, then swiftly put them into your pockets! Or you could pretend you saw someone you knew and wave, and put them in your pockets.

So when you're going on a date with your boyfriend, wear something with pockets. That's my best and only solution. But then there is always honesty. Just tell him"no," because your hands are sweaty. With your luck, maybe his are too!n

smartchick118 said...
Love this... I was once kissed right before math class (it was my first kiss) and i walked in and almost fainted. My math teacher called on me and i was like "Huh? What? Forty-three?" I got called in after class because i was lightheaded and giddy the whoooole class. lol :)) Wonderful article.