New York | Teen Ink

New York

December 12, 2017

513 miles away. New York city is 513 miles away from Holly Springs, North Carolina.


The Big Apple is an eight hour trip that I, unfortunately, won’t be able to take by myself for another 4 years. New York is the place to move. It’s one of those cities that has something for everyone and everything. For entrepreneurs, actors, writers, and every other person in this world with a dream, New York is where it can happen.

In a way, New york reminds me of a forest (a very polluted one of course.) The skyscrapers that make up the city symbolize trees. They tower over everything and everyone below it, casting their shadows in all directions. On the other hand, all of the people in the city represent the diverse wildlife in a forest. Some animals come and go with the seasons, and others stay for good. Each and every animal having their own purpose, yet all of them finding their way in the same place.

I’ve been once. That one, quick, four day visit was all it took for me to fall in love.
With even just one walk in Central Park, one time ice skating in Rockefeller center, and two or three Broadway shows, the city had my heart. Getting out of the taxi in Time Square was as eye opening and awakening as a bear coming out of hibernation! The moment you enter that city is like the climax of a roller coaster ride. It can be slightly scary and overwhelming, but full of excitement at the same time.
4 years. 513 miles away.

Cities are filled with life. There’s never a dull moment. In North Carolina, you’ll be lucky to hear to little more than a cricket or two! In NYC all the once-crickets have the opportunity to transform into large loud lions! New York is a place for adventure. A place where you can arrive and become a totally new person. Cities are always changing. There is alway something new being built or something old being torn down. One day the restaurant on the corner of the block could be an Applebee's and within the blink of an eye, it can become a starbucks. 4 years. 513 miles away.

New York is the start of the race to many people. A start to a new job, idea, and adventure. To me though, it’s the finish line of this chapter of my life. When i finally get there is when i’ll know my childhood, adolescence, and teenage years are over. As much as I look forward to that new beginning, I am, in no way ready for it just yet.