Murder | Teen Ink

Murder MAG

I think I'm the only person in the world who managed to kill a cactus. I killed it. I admit it. Will my conscience ever let me be?

You see it happened like this...My best friend bought me a cactus for a Christmas present. I immediately fell in love with it. The stock was about three inches tall and a deep, lush green color. It was topped with a cute little ball that looked like a pin-cushion. I placed the cactus on my window sill.

I asked my best friend how often I should water it. She replied she knew I was a busy person so she got me a plant that I wouldn't have to water often. (She also knew I'd forget to water it.) "You don't have to water it until spring," she informed me.

As time passed, I found it harder and harder to wait to water my cactus. I figured that it must rain in the desert sometime, right? So, I decided that I would water my cactus once a week. Once a week I thought to myself. What would happen if I drank or ate only once a week. I began to feel as if I was depriving my beloved cactus of its food and nourishment. Well, I began watering that little cactus whenever I thought of it. Sometimes I would forget the last time I watered it, so I'd water it again not realizing that I had already watered it three times that day.

And so it happened; yes, I drowned my cactus. It's dead, and I killed it. My mom says I should throw my little cactus away, but I like it on my window sill. Alright, so it isn't quite as cute as it was when it was alive, but I still love it. n

i love this so much!