Middle East Crisis | Teen Ink

Middle East Crisis MAG

By Anonymous

   "....A Time for Hate...A Time for War..."

These words were popularized in the song, "Turn, Turn, Turn" by the 1960's group, The Byrds, during the Vietnam War. Now as the U.S. faces conflict in the Middle East, these words have renewed meaning for Americans, and the rest of the world as well. Many people question U.S. involvement in Operation Desert Storm. Protesters, believing it is a war for oil, take to the streets proclaiming "No blood for oil!" despite President Bush's assertion that the U. S. is involved to liberate Kuwait and stop Saddam Hussein.

While there are those who object to the war, the majority of Americans support President Bush's decision. Sanctions failed and the President's appeal for "total unconditional withdrawal from Kuwait" to Saddam Hussein was ineffective. It appeared that reasoning with Hussein was futile, so force was necessary.

"....A Time for Love...."

Regardless of the support of the war, there is little question that it is terrifying. Over one million troops on both sides are fighting, which means casualties are inevitable. Those with family members or friends in Saudi Arabia are anxious about their safety as the war continues. News programs have interviewed relatives of the men and women in Operation Desert Storm. Many of them say that while it is difficult not to think of the war constantly, they must go on living, hoping and praying for the safe return of their loved ones.

There are many opinions as to how long the war will last. Hopefully, it will not be much longer before our troops come home and the conflict is resolved.

"....A Time for Peace, I swear it's not too late...." n