The Traffic Stop | Teen Ink

The Traffic Stop

Let’s say your name is Bob. You are driving along, and out of nowhere, you see flashing lights in the rearview mirror: it’s a police officer, and you’re being pulled over.

As you wait for the officer to approach your car, you feel yourself getting nervous. You start sweating because you don’t know what to do.

Don’t be like Bob. Learn what to do if you are stopped by the police when you are driving:

First, make sure you are always off the road so the cop doesn’t have to walk into traffic to talk to you.

Next, while waiting for the officer to approach, get out your insurance card, driver’s license, and registration papers. You want to have these ready, because that is the first thing they will ask for.

Try not to look nervous, or the officer will think that there's something illegal in the car. Then you’ll be asked to get out and you might be handcuffed. Then when he asks you questions, answer his questions--or not--and he will just give you a ticket for whatever traffic violation you did. But if you lie to him and say that you did not do it, don’t forget he has a dashcam in the car--and he can probably prove you are lying.

If you answer his questions, you just might get a warning for the traffic violation.

Last, be nice to police officers, because they might be having a bad day. Always tell them to be safe, because they will know that there are people that respect them.

The reason that respire me to write this story is that I appreciate the law enforcement and how they take care of our community