Sports Are Not as Important as School | Teen Ink

Sports Are Not as Important as School

By Collinsmora BRONZE, Saginaw, Texas
Collinsmora BRONZE, Saginaw, Texas

As I meandered through the hallways in a hurry towards my last class of the day, which was athletics, I reflected on whether I would be able to play basketball with a failing grade in English. Well, I was completely wrong when I went to ask the coach what's going to happen to me he said: “You can’t play due to the no pass no play regulation.” This got to me, the no pass no play regulation, when hearing it I felt as if I was standing on the edge of a cliff that I could not just hurdle over, it felt as if I had to work to get closer to the other side.

The no pass no play was a simple regulation it stated that if you are not passing your classes or subjects in school you are not allowed to participate in any extracurricular activities that the school holds. Therefore, after learning this I began to contemplate on how to study for all my classes including English. First, I would try to study for Math even though I was already passing that class. Then I would study for Science and History which were two other subjects that I really needed to study because I was about to fail both of them. Lastly, I really needed to study my English so that I could be able to play in the upcoming basketball tournament for my school. Finally, all the hard work paid off I passed all my classes and kept them up from that day on. For the tournament, I drained about fourteen threes in total this led are the team to win the whole tournament without losing a single game to another team, afterwards, I felt relieved and proud that I studied hard to pass my classes to play again.

At the end of all this, I learned that sports are not as important as school. For example, one of my previous teachers told us of a story of where a student was the most amazing football player at his school when he was younger, but that kid was intellectually challenged and didn’t know how to read at all and in the middle of the class he announced that all he needed in his life was football but it got him nowhere in the end of it all. Therefore, I believe that school is the most important rather than sports because knowledge can get someone farther than just one sport.

This happend to me in middle school in my 8th grade year.