The Pageant | Teen Ink

The Pageant MAG

On July 2, 1991, there was a pageant held in my hometown of Natick. I entered because I thought it would be nice to have a chance to represent my hometown. There were 18 girls in the pageant. We had practice every night and we all became friends. That was fun. Finally pageant night was here and we were all very nervous and anxious to find out who was going to be the next "Miss Natick." We had to answer a question on stage. The judges then picked 9 semi-finalists. I made it! I was very happy about that. We answered one more question and four finalists were picked. My heart was pounding, I was very nervous. They called out my name! I was thrilled just knowing that I was going to be a runner-up. The judges' ballots were in, they called 3rd and 2nd runners up. It left two of us! Standing there, I thought to myself, I can't believe I made it this far, could I really be the next Miss Natick?? The wait was over, they called me as first runner up. I was really excited. I lost by 1/2 point, but I wasn't disappointed. I was still very happy because we got to ride on the float in the parade, be introduced at the circus, and ride on the elephants through the circus, and get introduced on the Common as Miss Natick and her court. We also helped the firefighters to collect money for the MDA, "Jerry's Kids." We got a total of $2,600 to donate to children less fortunate than we are.

We are going on the 26.5 mile walk for cancer on October 5th. It will be long but rewarding because it, too, will raise money to help others.

I didn't get to be Miss Natick, but I got the next best thing by being first runner up. It was a very fulfilling and unforgettable moment in my life. n