Trailblazers | Teen Ink

Trailblazers

September 3, 2017
By Hilly_Bean GOLD, Grantsburg, Wisconsin
Hilly_Bean GOLD, Grantsburg, Wisconsin
15 articles 0 photos 0 comments

There are many consequences to war, some good and some bad. A good consequence of war is it provides on opportunity for people to change the way they think. Women really took advantage of this opportunity during the Civil War. Harriet Beecher Stowe was an author during this time whose life was definitely impacted by the war.
War creates an opportunity to change the way we view gender roles in life because war already brings up controversial conversation. People are also very busy during war times; much to busy to care about petty things such as if women wear skirts or pants. Harriet Beecher Stowe took advantage of this opportunity by becoming an author. As History.com states, “The success of Uncle Tom’s Cabin went far towards legitimizing, if not indeed creating, a role for women in public affairs.” The war allowed Stowe to publish a bestselling novel, challenging the stereotype of only men being authors.
Civilians are still impacted by conflict because war needs a place to be fought. In the Civil War era, wars were fought in people’s backyards. Another way civilians are affected is through their family fighting in the war. Harriet Beecher Stowe was effected in this way because her son, Frederick, enlisted in the war and was severely injured in Gettysburg. Stowe was also referred to by President Lincoln as “The little woman who wrote the book that made this great war.”
Terrible conditions can inspire people to become their better selves because people realize that they need to try to help fix whatever problem is at hand. A great example of this happening is Harriet Beecher Stowe. During the era of slavery, Stowe used writing to express her abolitionist ideals. Though slavery was an awful act, Stowe used it as a platform to help establish both the rights of African-Americans and of women. The book Uncle Tom’s Cabin was one of the most successful anti-slavery novels. As History.com states, “The success of Uncle Tom’s Cabin went far toward legitimizing, if not indeed creating, a role for women in public affairs.”
In conclusion, the Civil War was a turning point for women’s rights because it allowed women to do things they weren’t able to do before. In the case of Harriet Beecher Stowe, it allowed her to become a best-selling author and stand up for what she believed in. Sometimes the worst of times can create the best of opportunities.


The author's comments:

This is a not so great essay I wrote last year.