Did I Do The Right Thing? | Teen Ink

Did I Do The Right Thing? MAG

It all started a couple of months ago when a friend of mine started telling me she wanted to die. I always tried to change her mind, and I always tried to help her through her problems. Every time she told me she wanted to do it, I didn't believe her, but then one day she wrote me a note, and from what it said, I believed she was serious about it this time. I was terrified, I didn't know what to do. Then I talked to my guidance counselor. I showed him the note and he also believed she needed help. I felt relieved, at least I knew somebody was going to help me in trying to stop her, but I also felt like I was betraying her because she trusted me and I told other people about it. She went to the hospital for a week. I visited every single day to keep her company so she wouldn't feel lonely. Now I think things got better, and she doesn't talk about dying any more, which is great. I think she realized how many people care about her now. I hope I did the right thing by revealing her problem. Someday, when she has recovered completely from all of this, I have the intention of telling her it was I who "told" on her. Maybe she'll be upset for a while, but at least it will make me feel better. n

Editor's Note: It's important to know that it's all right to "tell" if you feel a friend is really in danger of hurting him/herself. The Samariteens also offers help on suicide issues.