The Simplicity Of Life | Teen Ink

The Simplicity Of Life MAG

By Anonymous

   The other day I saw something that changed my whole outlook on life. It wasn't newsbreaking or even very significant to the world. Nevertheless, it had an effect on me.

I was sitting behind a middle-aged woman with a pair of twins. I watched them color and play. They listened to everything with such intent. It really amazed me. They say that adults know best, but I think that the longer you live, and the more you learn, the less you tend to understand.

One of the twins grabbed a toy from his brother and he began to cry. The mother grabbed the little "criminal" and he kicked his brother in the face! It was quite amusing to watch, actually. I could see the hesitation in the little kid's eyes. His mind was thinking, Should I cry and get him in trouble or not? Once he realized that his brother was already being scolded, a look of satisfaction came over his face.

I don't think that little kids are given enough credit sometimes. Their minds work in such a simple way. They don't incorporate all of the elements in decision-making that adults do.

I sometimes wonder if we make the problems that we must face every day. Life is, or rather can be, so simple. It seems that only little kids can appreciate that. We lost it with the years that passed. The saddest part of it all is that it can never be regained. n