Life In America This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine.

Life in America is very different from my past life in Macao, a small island near Hong Kong famous for gambling. Life in Macao is almost the same as Hong Kong.

I was brought up in a typical Chinese family. I agree that the Chinese are conservative. I love my parents and they love me too. But we never say "I love you" or "I miss you" to each other. Everything is hidden at the bottom of our hearts. Now I am living with an American family and I always hear "Honey," "Sweetheart," "Dear," from my host parents. I really admire the way they express themselves to their children. I tried to include "I miss you. I love you all!" in my letters to my parents. And not long ago, I received a letter from my family. They asked me if I felt embarrassed to write such words. They reminded me not to forget Chinese culture and Chinese language. They realize my Chinese is getting worse when I talk to them on the telephone. Well, I do not feel embarrassed, but I totally understand why they asked me that question. Many Chinese still think that "I love you" and "I miss you" are phrases for Westerners. Chinese should not say these words. I always wonder why they think in this way. n