Friendship | Teen Ink

Friendship MAG

By Anonymous

   "What are you going to be for Halloween?"

"I don't know."

A cool fall breeze brushed by as two girls sat on the school playing fields. They discussed their ideas for Halloween.

"Maybe we could be something together," suggested the first. The two, who had just met, glanced at each other. They pondered this idea.

"Yeah, that would be fun, but what could we be?"

"I don't know," replied the first as they stood up and headed into the school. "Hey, I have an idea," she stopped walking and turned to her friend. "Why don't we dress as Tweedle Dee and Tweedle Dum?"

"Yeah, that would be awesome!" Her face lit up. "But where would we find the costumes?"

"We could make them."

"Make them?"

"Yes. Why not? It would be fun."

Within days, the girls set to work cutting, pinning and sewing. They laughed and had a great time. A new friendship formed, and so did a Halloween tradition.

As I look back at these two young girls planning such a challenge, the happy memories make me smile. We did many f things together. We did each other's hair and gave each other facials. We spent a lot of time together; we had our own nicknames and plenty of private jokes. Most important, we were there for each other. Our friendship grew and continued for three years. We overcame heartaches, jealousies and fights. These just made our friendship stronger and throughout it all, we remained good humored. When the excitement and challenge of making our costumes came each year, we always seemed to grow closer.

Suddenly, as if overnight, she changed. She made new friends, and boyfriends, and wore different clothes. Her whole personality altered. She seemed wrapped up in this new world of hers. She didn't seem to have time for me. Now that I look back, however, I must have changed too. Gradually, we drifted apart.

Friendships come and go. I suppose it's part of growing up, but it's still difficult. Perhaps that's why I don't want to grow up. Some-times I would give anything to be back in sixth grade. It is sad for me to see the friendship end, although they rarely simply end. It's a gradual process. One day you realize it's not the way it used to be and you aren't as close anymore. Sometimes, there is no controlling it. People change. That is what happened with this friendship.

Today, four years later, Halloween was creeping up on me. I was planning to go trick or treating, but she and I hadn't made any plans together. When I asked her about repeating our tradition, she told me she would not be going. I realized even more how much we had grown apart. To me, it was sad.

Many adults say they wish they could be young again. I just wonder if they remember the pain of losing a childhood friend.The memories of our first Halloween together as Tweedle Dee and Tweedle Dum may be a little faded in my mind. But, a friendship as special as ours certainly won't ever be forgotten. n