The Soundtrack of My Life | Teen Ink

The Soundtrack of My Life

By james delacenserie BRONZE, Park City, Utah
james delacenserie BRONZE, Park City, Utah

My name is James D. I am a fourteen year old, eighth grade student. I am a talented person athletically, and academically. I am creating a collection of songs that are important to me or somehow connected to me by lyrics, or by the beat of the song. I hope you enjoy my album and reading this essay.

This album is a picture of my life as a fourteen year old in the early twenty-first century. I am completing this album because I would like to show the world who I am and be able to look back at my life in future years. I hope that people will understand me better once they have heard this album. Later in my life I will listen to my album and read this paper and reflect on how I was at fourteen, and how I will be that day. Now, here is my album.

The first song of my album is called “Jump Around” by House of Pain. This song is very memorable because when I lived in Wisconsin I went to Wisconsin Badgers’ games often. In between the third and fourth quarter of every game they would play this song and everyone in Camp Randall got out of their seat and jumped up and down to this song. It was so fun and amazing to see everyone jumping and going crazy. Now, when I watch Wisconsin games on TV, it is enjoyable to see the fans jumping out of their seats. I miss going to the games, but it is amazing I was even able to be part of the “Jump Around”.

My next song is “Sometimes You Can’t Make It On Your Own” by U2. This song reminds me of when my dad had a heart attack. When my dad came home from the hospital he needed a lot of help trying to have a healthier lifestyle. That’s how this song relates to the heart attack. Without help, it would have been really hard for him to make it on his own.

I chose my next song to be “Handlebars” by Flobots for when I learned to ride my bike. I was five years old when I finally achieved this. I would keep riding my bike around the cul-de-sac, occasionally falling, and keep trying and trying until I didn’t fall at all. I was so proud and I feel that that accomplishment has led to many more, like the lyrics to this song.

My favorite song in this album is “Lose Yourself” by Eminem. This song is really good motivation to me to work hard at everything I do. Especially for when I’m training for football. I work hard and try to be the best I can be so that when an opportunity comes to me, I can take advantage. This is what this song tells you. If you are given an opportunity, don’t let it slip. This is why I do what I do, and do it my best.

The next song of my album is “Iris” by the Goo Goo Dolls. To me, this song tells people not to judge me by what they see. You will probably not understand what you see or who I am or what you see. I believe you should never interpret another person before you know them, and this is why I chose this song.

A very important part of my life and this country is when Barack Obama was elected president and was inaugurated into the white house. The song to show this moment is called “My President is Black” by Jay-Z. This song has a very special quote, “Rosa Parks sat so Martin Luther could walk, Martin Luther walked so Barack Obama could run, Barack Obama ran so all the children can fly.” This is an amazing quote that represents what Barack Obama can do for our country. He is very important to my family because we are hoping that he can help our country out of the war and financial crisis. Barack Obama is an inspiration to millions, including me.

My seventh song of my album is “Angels On The Moon” by Thriving Ivory. I chose this song because I want my life to be a mystery. I don’t want my life to already be mapped out for me. I don’t want to know where I live, whom I’m with, or what I do when I grow up, or when I die. I want to be able to live my life fully and happily without knowing every detail.
As we come near the end of my soundtrack, I have just a couple more songs to share with you. This song is “Shattered (Turn the Car Around)” by O.A.R. To me, the ‘car’ is like a metaphor for fixing or ‘turning around’ any situation or problem that occurs. Whenever I’m fighting with my parents or siblings, the best thing to do is to ‘turn the car around.’ This is what I try to do whenever a conflict arises.

My last song in my album is another U2 song, “Beautiful Day”. When I used to ski race, my dad would play this song while driving to every race. I don’t know why, but it seems to fit perfectly for this situation. It’s probably because I loved to ski and compete at the races. I feel “Beautiful Day” is also a great ending song. This song is very special to me for this reason.

Now, you have read and listened to “The Soundtrack Of My Life”. I would like to thank you for sticking with me until the end. I hope you now understand me better and made new opinions of me. I actually now know even more about myself by completing this soundtrack. I thank you once again, and say goodbye.