Farm Animals Are in Danger | Teen Ink

Farm Animals Are in Danger

By bored123 BRONZE, Lexington, Kentucky
bored123 BRONZE, Lexington, Kentucky

Dear Editor,

In the meat industry, farm animals are being treated inhumanly. All the meat industry want is good meat .The scientists are re-engineering the farm animals to fit their needs. There should be more laws to protect farm animals because animals are being abused, legal protections are very lean, and inhumane breeding techniques.

Some people do say that when the scientists are “re-engineering” the farm animals that it’s actually very beneficial to the farmers because the more offspring the animal has the farmers get more meat and it cost less to raise. I believe that it’s not beneficial because there are some complications to the “re-engineering.” such as the pigs are having up to 14 piglets when they usually have eight. The most of the piglets are too weak and crowded to move so their mother most of the time roll over on them. Cows usually have one calf at a time but now some are having twins or triplets. Most of the time they are deformed or very weak that they will have a premature death.

There is also lambs that are being “re-engineered.” They call it “easy care” sheep, because the scientists believe that they can make the sheep live without the costly shelters and the shepherds. The ewes (female sheep) are giving birth in the open fields with no help/aid from the farmers. The lambs are being killed by predators, living in the harsh weather and starving to death.

According to Michael Moss in his article “ U.S Research Lab Lets Livestock Suffer in Quest for Profit” (2015) “ The Animal Welfare Act — a watershed federal law enacted in 1966, two years after the center opened — aimed to minimize that suffering, yet left a gaping exemption: farm animals used in research to benefit agriculture.”

People like Geoffrey Hirsch, former technician has said that 12 years ago he got a call for a procedure on a carcass of a young pig. They were going to extract lung tissue from the young pig. The procedure had failed and the scientist that did the procedure seem to get some enjoyment out of it. The scientist was talking and yelling at the dead pig, he was saying things like ¨ how do you like that pig?¨

Like I explained before, there should be more laws to protect farm animals because animals are being abused, legal protections are very lean, and inhumane breeding techniques. There are scientists all around america that need to be stopped, help make the laws so the animals are safe again.

Thank You

Sincerely,
Elle R.