Thanks To Grandma | Teen Ink

Thanks To Grandma MAG

My grandmother was very special. She could make people feel better with a smile. Her hugs were the elixir for any illness, and she had enough love to banish the world's loneliness forever.

I remember feeling her soft, flowered dresses against my cheeks. And she had the most wonderful scent; the smell of a summer's perfume and her favorite, Hostess cupcakes. She lived in a little apartment the size of a mouse hole, and it was adorned with eighty years of photos, souvenirs, and her memories. She was beautiful, classy, loving and perfect, and I wanted to be just like her.

One day her doctor called us to say that Grandma was very sick. He said she had a bad form of cancer. But Grandma didn't have cancer - she had friends and love and bowls to lick the frosting from. She had quarters to give and birthday cards to send ... but she didn't have cancer.

Her condition worsened, and the end was near. Our lives were a movie in slow motion, and we tried to make each day as normal as possible. My father was absent from our lives; he spent his time caring for his mother in their last moments together.

Grandma left us on a beautiful day in May. My father had been embracing her, hoping that if he held on tight enough, she wouldn't let go. They both drifted off to sleep, and then she was gone. She slipped right out of our hands; right out of our lives.

As my father lay sleeping, he dreamed of a shining, gold light. He saw a ray of energy brighter than anything on earth. It was Grandma, saying good-bye.

He came home and told us that Grandma was gone forever, but I already knew. I felt her soft, flowered dress brush against my cheek and I smelled her perfume and chocolate essence in the air. She said good-bye to me, too.

Grandma died and left us very rich. She left us laughter, love and memories. To me, we're the wealthiest people in the world ... thanks to Grandma. n