Painkillers | Teen Ink

Painkillers

Prescription pain pills are a very big problem in today’s world. When someone gets surgery, they are given these to help with the pain. Everyone says “Oh no that would never happen to me, I would never abuse painkillers”. No one thinks it would happen to them.  Pain pills take over people's lives and they can not live without them, they start taking them to get rid of the pain and they produce a euphoria for a short time period. Once that period is over, they think they need another one to fulfill that feeling again. Someone that is abusing opiates often are very moody, they can change from being happy to extremely mad within seconds. They also have very slow reaction times and are very drowsy. After someone has taken these pills for so long they develop a physical dependence for them. Once addicted it is very hard to break that. Withdrawal symptoms are very serious when it comes to this. These include insomnia, vomiting, restlessness, and a very big urge to go back to the pills. Most of the time to break this addiction, people need medical attention and to get professional help. People that are addicted do not think that they have an issue. They do not see what they are doing to themselves and the people around them. It is said that the first step to recovery is to admit that you have a problem and are addicted. If the person addicted to anything does not see they have a problem then almost every time they will go back to their old ways even after being in rehab.

Prescription pain pills are a very sensitive topic to me and very sentimental. Seeing the way my dad acted and the things he did just to feed his addiction really opened my eyes to the seriousness of addiction. All the pain and struggles my dad put my family and I through was very hard and taught me to be a better person but also was very useful to me. His addictions have taught me that no matter what the situation, I will always ask my mother or another trusted adult to monitor and give me my medicine if i ever need surgery or anything of that sort that i would be prescribed highly addictive medicine. It is useful because I will always look out for my family and future family to make sure that none of us have to deal with that again. I would never wish the amount of pain i went through from my own father on anyone else but I am thankful for the lessons I have been taught. I now know that addiction runs in my family and to always look out for potential symptoms for addiction.