A Constant Battle | Teen Ink

A Constant Battle MAG

Eating disorders are quite prevalent in today's society due to the emphasis placed on appearance by the media and tabloids. Every girl would love to be model slender, which can't always be achieved because of our many different bone structures.

Today it's almost an "in" thing to have an eating disorder. Whether it's the constant attention or search for control, it's not worth it. It may be glamorous to be thin, but the side effects are anything but glamorous.

A high school sophomore with a decent body shape, excels in track, is an average student, has wonderful friends and a loving family, decides one day not to eat. She can get by for a short period but eventually loses everything that matters. Her track career is cut short, her boyfriend becomes disloyal, her friends and peers no longer enjoy her company. The physical effects are worse. Dark black circles begin to set in; her hair falls out in clumps, and her overall appearance is emaciated.

Waking every morning becomes difficult, getting out of bed becomes an effort. She becomes isolated, abrasive and is the center of her own world. She feels so in control of her life, but she's so in control, she's out. To admit to a problem is the largest problem of all. The therapist saying "You're anorexic" goes in one ear and out the other. The people around her are more affected by it than she is. This slowly begins to take over her life. Her outlook goes from a bright shade of yellow to a dark shade of black. How is this going to stop? It is up to her.

Nutritionists, doctors, friends and family can talk, but she'd have to be the one to decide. After three and a half long months, it starts to set in ... something must be done. Slowly but surely she begins to eat an extra two grapes at first or a half a carrot at dinner, a little more than the day before. The struggle to eat normally and maintain her weight is an everyday thought. Eventually this whole experience will become an obstacle overcome and a vivid memory.

Anyone who thinks s/he suffers from an eating disorder should contact help before it's too late. Take it from someone who has been there. If I had been more aware of how serious this disease was six months ago, I would have chosen a different road to follow. Each day is a continuous battle, but in reality you're only fighting yourself. n