Battered Rust | Teen Ink

Battered Rust

April 19, 2017
By CloudyFella BRONZE, Columbus, Montana
CloudyFella BRONZE, Columbus, Montana
2 articles 0 photos 0 comments

Light blue it is. It could be aquamarine. No it is not a deep red. Cracks splay across glass like an intricate spider web of crystal. No, I said cracked, not smooth to the touch at all. Rust spots dot here and there across the surface. Tires, four of them sag under the weight, partly flat. No, they weren’t filled to the brim. The bumper is coated in dirt. A taillight is cracked. And a million things lay strewn around in the back. No, they aren’t in a nice order. Buckets, old antifreeze, and a long level. Wind swirls the grass below its dirty rusty underbelly. No the bottom parts are not in good condition whatsoever. The seats are torn to shreds, stuffing poking out. A canopy lays across the back, who can say whether or not it is attached? An old Chevy it is. No, not a Ford or Dodge. You see it is a truck. Beat up and broken. The engine no doubt has many problems. No, I already told you it is a truck not an old sedan. Some people just don’t get it. It may be wrecked on the inside, but you have to look within to truly understand. Who knows the memories, the experiences, and the hard work that happened in its cab? Yes! You finally understand. Never judge the outside no matter how bad.


The author's comments:

I wrote this piece out in my back yard while noticing my dad's old truck laying there abandoned.