Death stick | Teen Ink

Death stick

April 4, 2017
By chloeduncan01 BRONZE, Pontiac, Michigan
chloeduncan01 BRONZE, Pontiac, Michigan
1 article 0 photos 0 comments

 Why do you smoke? The most simple question anyone could ask a smoker. They’ll most likely answer with, it helps relieve stress, or they’ll say that they started and couldn’t stop. Simple excuses, but who needs excuses when you know it was their choice to damage their lungs and hearts. But do they ever realize how it affects others. Probably not. It kills children and even animals. But they walk around in public knowing that they have most likely killed people and yet, they still secondhand smoke in public. 

   There are plenty of commercials around the world telling people how badly cigarettes are for you, and people ignore them. My parents smoke every ten minutes that they can, and whenever they do in the car, I always tell them how bad it smells and tastes to me and they still do because of ‘stress’. Parents kill their children's lungs and give kids all around the world cancer and they always think the worse of the kids. “Did you start smoking?” Or “are kids offering you cigarettes?” When really, it’s not even our faults.

   Research states that secondhand smoke causes nearly 34,000 premature deaths from heart disease each year in the United States among nonsmokers. Crazy right. And that’s only one year, what about 3 or 4 years. That’s nearly 136,000 deaths in only 4 years. All those people die from secondhand smoke. Once you notice how many people that is can make you think about others and not just your own self esteem. I already know that many people reading may not care about what I have to say just because I’m a teenager. But just see what I have to say.

   What a kid has to say is more powerful than many things. What I have to say is important for the sake of mankind. If people constantly secondhand smoke around children, we may all go extinct. Cigarette companies will overrule all of us and the industry will take over. What a lot of people don't know is that some cigarette companies add more and more nicotine and chemicals to their cigarettes, which makes people more addicted and wanting to buy more. Then kids who try once will try again and again then get addicted. We all witness the harms of smoking and what it does to your teeth, lungs, heart, and even more.

   I want our world to be healthy and not full of cancerous smoke. By now you’ll probably get my point of this article and if not then I don’t know why you’re sitting here and reading this. I want our families to have life not death everywhere. And if we stop these companies, I know there’ll be life. We all need to take these matters into our own hands. If we don’t, these companies will destroy us and take over. Kids all around the world don’t even know about this matter and this is my way of telling them. I hope they know how urgent this is to a lot of people. So help me end the secondhand smoke situation.