My Sisters | Teen Ink

My Sisters MAG

My Sisters

by S. Z., Stoughton, MA

A decision that has made my life different was made seventeen years ago by my parents. This decision was not to put my twin sisters into an institution as had been recommended by social workers. You see, I am a triplet and my twin sisters have Downs syndrome. The social workers gave the reason that it was fair to me. I feel, as I believe my parents felt, that this would have been unfair to me. How could I grow up as a triplet, but be an only child? Rebecca and Laura have taught me many things over the years, but most of all courage. After seeing them try something difficult and succeed (many times), I have learned that I too can succeed as long as I put my mind, heart, and soul into it. Due to their involvement in the Special Olympics, I have been able to see them face a challenge and excel on the athletic field. Together we have traveled throughout the state and beyond while competing in various events. Now I am no longer just sister and support, but coach as well. I think they preferred the old arrangement, because, as coach, they have to listen to me, and I make them train hard. I consider myself lucky because they are who they are. Rebecca and Laura are a big part of my life and I'm glad my parents let me have the chance to know them.