What is Writing? | Teen Ink

What is Writing?

March 20, 2009
By Phoenix22 PLATINUM, Danbury, Connecticut
Phoenix22 PLATINUM, Danbury, Connecticut
30 articles 0 photos 30 comments

'Writing is the world and much more.'
Whether you are just looking for a hobby or dreaming of an English career, then reading this article is a great way to start. Most things in life have one main subject and one view, but writing is an exception.

What is writing? This is a common question that most people ask. Chances are, you will find the word writing in the dictionary, but everyone has their own definition. Ever heard the expression, 'no two snowflakes are alike.' Well, the same goes for writing. Whether it is the definition of writing or a story on the same topic that someone else wrote about, this expression definitely works well. You could even use this expression in your definition of writing.
What is the purpose of writing? 'Writing lives with us everyday for several purposes.' Maybe you want to inform, to express feelings, or to create. There are about another 1,000 purposes of writing. One of the main reasons for writing is to share your experiences, thoughts, and opinions on a certain topic.
All writers want to have their own voice and finding the purpose of your writing is one major part of your voice. Some people may think that your voice doesn't have a place in the pieces you write, but it does. Your voice helps you decide your topics, the words you use to speak in writing, the purpose of your piece, and the secret meaning behind it. The unique thing about writing is that there aren't just two views and two voices, but several million views and voices.

As you can see, writing is more than what it seems. There is a lot more to explore and learn about the craft of writing, so keep exploring and put your creativity to work. One suggestion for getting started is that you may want to read the second edition of 'A Teens Guide to Getting Published', by Jessica Dunn and Danielle Dunn. Also, check out libraries and bookstores for magazines that will allow you to be published or look for books on the skills of writing. Don't forget to read a lot because the more you read, the more you will learn about writing, especially fiction.
'Let your creativity be your guide.'


The author's comments:
Writing is an excellent way to express yourself. To me and many other people it is not a chore, but a hobby and well known accomplishment