Hell is Real | Teen Ink

Hell is Real

By Norville19 BRONZE, Tiffin , Ohio
Norville19 BRONZE, Tiffin , Ohio

Glass laying in my lap, I woke up staring a snow covered tree. My one eye just barely open, trying to comprehend what’s going on. I looked over and Brad wasn’t even in the car. Serena and Steven are in the back still passed out. Smoke started to create a thick fog in the car. Serena had crusted over blood that oozed from her forehead down her face. Steven seemed okay, but I couldn’t tell for sure. I couldn’t open the door, so I tried climbing out the window. “Ow I just cut myself. Damn that hurt,” as I screamed I could hear my eco in the
wilderness. “Brad!, Brad !”I screamed, so loud that I thought I was going to blow an eardrum. I couldn’t see a thing anymore because the snow started to fall so hard. The smell of thick smog started to cover the whole inside of the car. At this point I knew I had to get Serena and Steven out of the car before it caught on fire. 

I tried screaming into Serena and Steven’s ear, but they still wouldn’t wake up. I started to think they were dead somehow, so I began to bawl my eyes out. I opened Serena’s side door and pulled her out and laid her on the cold, frosted covered grass. As I went to lay Serena down, I noticed flames that started to burst from the Engine. The closer I got to the car, the more heat I could feel coming from the fire. I tried to open Steven’s side of the door, but it wouldn’t budge. I yanked and pulled on the handle until it broke off into many plastic pieces in my hand. The fire continued to engulf the car until it reached the drivers and passenger side seats. I ran around into Serena's side door and jumped into the car to rescue Steven. I could feel the heat roasting off of the side of my face almost like it was malting into a liquid. I grabbed Steven by his bulky, hard to get a grip arm, until I got him all the way outside of the car. Dragging him off of the ground, I pulled him until he rested beside Serena. All that work to get them safe and out of the car, made me severely tired as I passed out in the freezing cold snow.
“Em!, wake up, you need to get up!” as Brad exclaimed into my ear. I heard the yells but not as clearly as I should have. I slowly started to wake as I felt the cold, crisp air on my face. My eyes slowly started to regain vision after a few seconds of trying to remember where I was and what had happened. I opened my eyes to Brad, Serena, and Steven all huddled around me waiting for me to get up off the ground.

“What happened?” I said quietly.

Brad said we all were passed out in the car so he went to go find help because there was no phone reception.
“What are we going to do now?” asked Serena in a scared voice.

“We need to get the hell out of this freezing cold woods, that’s what we need to do,” exclaimed Steven.
“You’re right Steven, I think we should walk and try and find some shelter,” Brad advised.
“That’s a good idea, let’s go now before it gets any darker and colder,” I commented.
    As we started to walk off into the distance, I realized that the car was annihilated.  I remembered that we were going to a cabin for our trip, but it was still miles up the snowy, ice filled road.

“Hey Brad where’s that cabin where we were supposed to go to?” I questioned.

“It’s miles up the road. There is no way we could walk there without freezing to death,” Brad stated.

“Do you think we could find a car that was left on the side of the road?” said Steven curiously.

“It could be possible but I doubt a good working car would just be left on the side of the road,” I said smartly.
As we continued walking through the woods, I could feel the cold bitterness on m y face and hands but we didn’t stop walking. Brad cuddled me as we tried to warm up and continue to find shelter. Serena and Steven were cuddled up too just walking slightly behind us. We have been walking for awhile, so we stopped to eat some of our protein bars and drink the bottled water in our back packs.  After we were hydrated and full, we started to walk again. At this point it was around 7 O’clock meaning it was going to get dark very soon. I realized we needed to find our cabin sooner than expected. We continued to walk and walk for a couple more miles. My feet felt like they were just going to freeze and shatter into a million pieces. We walked and walked and walked.
A light suddenly appeared behind us coming at a very fast rate.

“It’s a car! It’s a car!” Brad exclaimed in happiness.

“Uh, I don’t think that's a car Brad. No one ever drives on this road,” I said in a stern voice.

“Then what could it possibly be if it isn’t a car?” Serena questioned.

“It’s just a random light. There is no figure behind it. It’s literally a random light,” Steven said in a confused tone.
Steven was right. The light was just a random glowing light. It followed us. Faster and faster, but it never caught up. We started to run because it was very creepy. We ran until we couldn’t breathe. I turned around to look but the light was gone.

“What is going on?” I said.

“I don’t know but someone is following us, we need to find somewhere to go before we’re killed and never heard of again on some random road,” Serena stated.

“Oh my God, shut up Serena. We aren’t going to die!”I screamed.

“Look! Look! Look! The sign for the cabin is right up the road!” Steven exclaimed in excitement.

“He’s right. We just have to keep powering through the snow. We’ll be there sooner than we think,” Brad said calmly.

We kept walking and once we got to the sign it said “Millhouse Cabin up ahead .5 miles”. That wasn’t far at all. We all cuddled to stay warm. We finally arrived to the cabin and it wasn’t anything like we expected. It was run down with the wood covered in moss and looked like it had been vacant for 20 years. I stepped up to open the front door, but it was locked.

“Brad where the hell are the keys?” I asked in a stern voice.
“Oh my God, they were in the council of the car!” Brad said.
“We’re seriously going to die,” Serena mentioned.
“I can run back to car if you want me to,” Steven offered.
“You don’t have to Steven. I always have a lock pick in my pocket because it’s convenient” Brad commented.
“Oh thank God, you’re a lifesaver Brad,” I said.

We got into the cabin just fine when Brad lock picked it. The cabin was freezing so we blasted the heat like a sauna. The cabin had two rooms in it. Serena’s and Steven’s was at the back of the cabin, while ours was in the front. I realized we had soup cans in our bags. After we all ate, we decided it was time to go to sleep. We had walked almost five miles today in the freezing cold. Before I went to sleep, I checked to see if we had service on our cell phones or a phone provided in the Cabin. Of course there wasn’t one provided, but my phone had one bar of signal. I started to write a long text to all our parents to tell them that we made it safe to the cabin, but we got in a car accident. I hit the send button which it took a minute to try and send. The message had failed and the signal went completely out.

“What the hell!” I screamed to the top of my lungs.

“Let’s just go to bed. We can find signal tomorrow babe,” Brad said all condoling.

“But our parents are probably freaking out because we haven’t called at all,” I said.

“ I know but there’s nothing we can do about it. Come on, let’s go to bed.” Brad said as he walked towards the bedroom.

Everyone passed out as soon as their head hit the pillows. I stayed up till three in the morning wondering what my parents were thinking happened to us. I started to finally daze off into a deep sleep. I passed out cold.

There were loud thuds against the cabin walls. Bright light blinding me. I screamed loud. I couldn’t hear anything now. Everything was mute. I was also blinded. I walked around the cabin. I walked towards Serena’s room. I slammed into everything. I reached their door. The door was hot to the touch. I opened the door. I couldn’t talk now. I patted their bed. They were gone. I ran back to my room. I patted my bed. Brad was gone. Tears flown out of my eyes. I ran to the front door. I tripped and slammed my head. I laid on the floor. Now I couldn’t move. I was paralyzed to the floor. I passed out again.

I slowly regain normal human functions. I opened my eyes slowly. Dark figures with no specific features. The shadows just standing around me. I was strapped to a table. I looked closer into the background. Something looked awfully familiar. The light that followed us was in the corner of the room. I thought it was hell itself. I passed out for the final time.

“Emily! Wake up sweetie!,” my mom said in her squeaky voice from down stairs. “It’s time for your cabin trip today!” she exclaimed again. I woke up in my bedroom, laying in my bed. Not understanding what just happened. The day repeated the same way it did before. We went to the woods. We crashed in the tree. We made it to the cabin. I woke up with shadows surrounding me again. All of a sudden I was in my room again.
The day repeated itself one more time. I tried doing things differently throughout the day, but the day always repeated. I was a never ending loop of the day. Throughout the different loops, Steven, Serena, and Brad died in different ways. I became so adapted to the deaths, it didn’t affect me. I didn’t understand what was happening. Was I in some other world or dimension? I knew that the place I was in was fake.

“Why am I here?What is this place? What is happening to me?” I exclaimed and questioned at the same time. I kept screaming and screaming until something happened. I was all of a sudden, standing in the middle of darkness with black surrounding me. I couldn’t see anything.

“You indeed do know why you’re here Emily. It was meant to be,” a mysterious, loud, distorted, manly voice, stated from afar.

“No you’re wrong. This place is horrible. I see my friends die over and over. It’s like my own personal hell. I don’t get it,” I said in a sad voice.

“There you go Emily. You know exactly where you are. You just said it,” the mysterious voice spoke again.

“I’m in hell? What? There's no way, hell isn’t real,” I said in disbelief.

“It’s very real. You’re stuck here for eternity,” the voice stated.

“Why? What did I do to deserve this?” I questioned.

“Just think Emily. You shall be punished for what you have done to your friends,” the voice demanded.

Now that I really thought about it, I was the driver of the car. I killed all of my friends. It was an accident. It was never supposed to be on purpose.

“You’re right Emily. It was an accident but you’re still held responsible for what you’ve done. I know it sounds unfair, but it’s what needs to be done,” the voice stated and disappeared.

I was back in the car with all my friends. This time it was real. We were all alive being pulled out of the car by policemen and firetrucks. I guess I learned my lesson. I was in an unconscious state of mind the whole time. The whole adventure was all in my head as well as hell. From that day on, I learned that we are responsible for every action we make.