USA World Records to be Proud Of | Teen Ink

USA World Records to be Proud Of

March 17, 2009
By Alliekat BRONZE, Denver, Colorado
Alliekat BRONZE, Denver, Colorado
4 articles 0 photos 3 comments

The USA has many world records to be proud of, and some not to be, as the Scholastic 'Book of World Records 2003' shows, at least. I know they aren't the most recent, but they still are records, right?
'
Did you know that the USA is second in place for 'Country That Drinks the Most Coca-Cola'?
'
We are in first place for the 'World's Top Meat-Eating Country'! A US citizen will eat about 270 lbs of meat each year! 66 lbs of that is beef, and 54 lbs is chicken.
'
4th is where we pop up in the 'World's Largest Canyon'. The canyon's name is Kings Canyon, and it is 8,200 feet deep!
'
For the 'World's Highest Waterfall', the USA is in 5th place with Yosemite. This waterfall is 2,425 feet high!
'
Seneca Rocks puts us in 4th once again; it is for the 'World's Largest Rock'.
'
The 'World's Highest Suspension Bridge' is the USA's very own Royal Gorge Bridge. It stands 1,053 feet tall and is located in Canon City, Colorado. It was built in 1929, is 1,260 feet long, and 18 feet wide. The floor is made of 1,000 tons of steel and can hold up to 2 million pounds!
'
The Sears Tower brings us back down to 3rd for the 'World's Tallest Habitable Building'. Still, it is a great accomplishment!
'
The 'World's Largest Amusement Park' is the Walt Disney World Resort in Florida. Covering more than 30,500 acres, it is more alike to a small town. The complex is made up of hotels, giant theme parks, water parks, shopping areas, movie theaters, and sports complexes. It is so big it even has its own transportation department and fire station!
'
For the 'World's Longest Ship Canal', we share 1st place with Canada for the St. Lawrence Seaway, and are in 3rd place for the Erie Canal.
'
We are the 'Country with the Most Cars', 3rd for the 'Country with the Most Bicycles', 1st for the 'Country with the Longest Rail Network', 'Country with the Most Airports', and hold four of the 'World's Most Busiest Airports'.
'
For the 'World's Most Visited Amusement Park', we are in 2nd for The Magic Kingdom, 3rd for Disneyland, and 5th for Epcot.

I could go on forever, but what I really want to share is this. We are the 'World's Top Calorie-Consuming Country'! An average US citizen consumes 3,757 calories a day, which is more calories than in six Big Macs! This high-fat eating has created a problem. Over sixty percent of US adults and fourteen percent of children were overweight in 2000!

Have you lately been seeing more commercials of diets, exercising, and eating healthy? Most people would say yes. This is because of the numbers I mentioned above. It's crazy! Even the news is talking about it. Pretty soon we are going to be taken off that record- hopefully.

But in a brighter sense, Americans have many things to be proud of, and we can stand tall along with the rest of the world, high and mighty.


The author's comments:
I decided to write this peice when I was looking through the Scholastic Book of World Records 2003. I was thinking about what to write for Teen Ink and thought of this idea.