Can't This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine.

Can't. The word, jailed long ago, mysteriously appeared in my attitude, transformed my mood, and escaped through my eyes; that word of long ago. Can't - a brickwall holding me back from dreams; thick, concrete, unstoppable. Can't - it kept me from taking the thrilling risk of riding a roller coaster, or singing out loud in a concert hall. Can't - it scared me, an evil monster ready to attack if I dared to let a challenging thought or awaiting experience intrigue me - tell me that for once I could. But, if that word, that fiend of the past, had not terrified me, would I have tried so hard to defeat it, to accomplish difficult tasks? Once I killed the monster, things changed. I started going to a tutor for help with schoolwork, I visited Disney World and interestingly enough found myself on Space Mountain. I started voice lessons, and my attitude transformed into something unreal. Slowly the monster deteriorated and before I knew it, I was on my own. But now I occasionally don't push myself hard enough, as if I had to climb over the concrete barricade, so I sometimes wish it would return, the monster of the past: can't.