The Application | Teen Ink

The Application MAG

I've taken the SATs, the achievement tests, passed in my recommendation sheet, attended more guidance seminars than a student should have to experience, and now I have to face the real worries: writing the applications and getting accepted to the college of my choice. I am not alone. The fact is almost every college-bound senior is working overtime on the college process.

One of the most difficult tasks is writing the dreaded applications. What could be more boring and time-consuming than filling out pages and pages of seemingly pointless information that colleges want to know about you? Five feet, 11 inches, 01945, worked at J & S Brandi's, Caucasian, male, blah, blah, blah, blah, blah.

Then I come to the section where I'm asked if I have any special talents or honors or volunteer activities. How will the colleges compare me as second trumpet in the school band, with the student from Idaho whose potato experiments won first place in the local science fair?

Wasted days are spent on the application process only to be topped off by the worst task of all, the college essay. Write a sincere, well-organized essay about what you can do to fix ethnic prejudice and bigotry. This is the typical essay question, and it must feel great to simply say, "There is nothing I can do to fix this problem since I can't even pass my homework in on time."

Everyone is taking the same gamble, hoping to strike the pot of gold and get accepted into the college of his/her choice. No doubt about it, writing applications, and worrying about being accepted can be one of the most stressful experiences an individual must face in a lifetime.

i love this so much!