Kurt Cobain: Another Viewpoint | Teen Ink

Kurt Cobain: Another Viewpoint MAG

Kurt Cobain - Another Viewpoint

by J. C., Wethersfield, CT

I just heard today, less than a week after Nirvana singer Kurt Cobain's untimely death, that a person in Seattle killed himself in the same manner. I have to say: what's the matter with these people?

For generations now, we have been losing our beloved music stars to accidents, drugs, suicide, etc. While the legacies of pioneers and legends like Jimi Hendrix, Elvis, Jim Morrison and Janis Joplin continue to live on, lesser known stars like Richie Valens, Randy Rhodes, and Stevie Ray Vaughn are forgotten with time.

Kurt Cobain, whose death is indeed a misfortune, was nowhere as talented as any of these. All I have been hearing is Kurt Cobain this, Kurt Cobain that. Someone even remarked to me "How come all of the great ones die young?" Now, Cobain was not a "great one." He has only been around for a few years, and was not that great. I am a fan of Nirvana but I had a little problem with them. They are boring. I have three Nirvana CDs, and when I first got them, they were great. But by the third day, I was so bored with the repetitive music that I stopped listening. They were messy and repetitive and didn't revolutionize any new sound like Jimi Hendrix who brought in a new guitar sound. I feel in a few years Nirvana would have been forgotten. Now they will be remembered for a singer who all of sudden had all this talent that wasn't there before, was a great guy even though he was a drug addict and had frequent mood swings, overdosed heroically and then blew his brains out. In a way, this was probably the best career move Cobain could ever make. All of a sudden, people love the immortal Nirvana and are buying up all of their music. Literally two days before Cobain was found dead, I was taking my friend home after practicing in our rock band and the talk turned, as usual, to music. Ironically, my friend started sounding off about how he couldn't stand Nirvana, how they are just an over-rated garage band who won't be around in six months. All of a sudden after the weekend, my friend says "Jay, I've decided I like Nirvana." What?! Why? Because the singer killed himself, which made their music that you hated better? It was just unbelievable.

Here's the point of these ramblings: while Cobain's death was indeed awful and tragic (it always is when someone so young takes his own life), he should not be considered "great" just because he killed himself. Let's just not make such a big deal of it because I am already sick of stupid "Kurt Cobain Lives" T-shirts. Just let him rest in peace and worry about more important things going on in our lives.

BrittDawn PLATINUM, Winnipeg, Other

And at that moment, I swear we were infinite.

agreed, one of the reasons why I think he's so great and talented is because he was depressed like other people are. And had problems that others do, like suicide.

kaitisweird SILVER, Portsmouth, New Hampshire

"I'd rather be hated for who I am than loved for who I am not" - Kurt Cobain

And I agree with Josh7, it wasn't just his music that made him famous, it was also his personality...

Are you saying that people only like Kurt Cobain so much because he commited suicide? Don't get me wrong, I totally disagree with you, I love him and I think he was a beyond talented musician, but I guess I can understand what you're saying if that's what you meant by this. Some people think his death was "heroic" and "symbolic" when all it was was an act of self-hate. He was just a human being, that was depressed like many others, who had access to a gun, and killed himself. He's not a God or anything. HE WAS A EXTREMELY TALENTED BUT STILL DEPRESSED HUMAN BEING!!!

on Aug. 21 2010 at 3:06 am
BrittDawn PLATINUM, Winnipeg, Other

I totally agree with you-- not to gang up with the author but i don't understand their piece.

Josh7 said...
on Oct. 26 2008 at 3:45 am
I can appreciate your opinion just like I can appreciate other people's opinions too but I just do not understand your arguement at all. You say Hendrix did more than Cobain? Why? Because Hendrix played his guitar faster? Because he played with a unique sound? Being unique and determining if something is, is all in the eye of the beholder .. well or ear.. Something different for you may be normal for me or vice-versa. It was not Cobain's Music that formed his legacy. No, not at all.. It was his words, actions, thoughts..etc. He had an open mind. He was the 90's version of John Lennon.. For you? Maybe not. For other millions of people? Yes.

Yeah. Kurt Cobain lives. He had such an open mind that he could read your article and accept and have a conversation with you. Hendrix simply played fast. I can scribble on paper fast too. Masterpiece? I think not. I just wanted to point out that its not the music that defines a person or band. I hope you read all of this.. I actually always take in both sides of an opinion; I just wanted to point out it wasnt the music.. Metallica has good music but they arent icons because of their personalities. I hope to read more of your stuff.. you actually have good insight. I respect you and hope to read more of your stuff. Maybe you could read mine.. :] Have a good day/night! :]